Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

VVT System Conversion

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2019, 5:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VVT System Conversion

We have a 2008 Tahoe LTZ that we have had to replace the motor in. The original motor did not have the VVT system in it. The replacement motor does, my question is can I use the replacement as is with my existing wiring harness as it does not have the extra 2 wires to feed the VVT solenoid connector or do i need to put a conversion kit in. also could i use the existing timing chain cover and upper gear to make the conversion?

Thanks for any assistance.
Old June 25th, 2019, 10:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I've never done this so please verify that what I've state below is correct.

Since your car didn't have VVT originally, I would think you only need the vvt delete kit that'll work with the existing single bolt vvt camshaft. Since the car didn't originally have vvt, there should be no tuning required.
Old June 25th, 2019, 10:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Brackett
We have a 2008 Tahoe LTZ that we have had to replace the motor in. The original motor did not have the VVT system in it. The replacement motor does, my question is can I use the replacement as is with my existing wiring harness as it does not have the extra 2 wires to feed the VVT solenoid connector or do i need to put a conversion kit in. also could i use the existing timing chain cover and upper gear to make the conversion?

Thanks for any assistance.
Not as knowledgeable (yet) about the VVT systems quirks, but I dont think your ECM will work with a VVT motor. Likely need to replace it for one that came out of a VVT motor.