Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Washing/Detailing Summary of Products

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 3:56 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing/Detailing Summary of Products

I'd like to summarize and get some more feedback on products that have been suggested in multiple threads on this forum for washing and detailing our Tahoes. What are the best products to use for the following?:

[ol][*]Exterior Paint: Is a sponge the best thing to use when washing the exterior of the vehicle? Regular Dawn liquid soap or what other types of cleaners?[*]Waxing:I've never been a huge believer in waxing, but what is the best product & waxing tool to use?[*]Exterior Chrome Trim: Mother's Chrome Polish or Meguiars Polish (non-abrasive polishes)[*]20" Polished Aluminum Wheels: Mother's Chrome Polish??? Non-abrasive to protect the clear-coat.[*]Tires: Soap and water. What about to revive the new tire look/shine, but not dry-out or damage the tire (long term)? Avoid products thatsmell like cherries?[*]Windows: Windex.[*]Interior Dash, Door Panels/Jambs, All Black Plastics: 303 Aerospace Protectant. Anything better for specificitems or use this for all interior pieces? Wood trim pieces?[*]Leather: ???[/ol]
Thanks for all your input!
Old May 8th, 2007, 6:01 PM
e
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Washing/Detailing Summary of Products

1. Exterior: I use two microfiber towels for the paint, along with Wizards Products Carwash, and a woolmit for the fenderwells. I will not use dishwashing liquid at all on my vehicles.
2.Waxing: I do not use waxes. I use a paint sealant 1-2 times a year, and apply a polish every third wash. Paints like silk....
3. Chrome: Good wash, followed by a chamois, then buffed spot free with a microfiber.
4. No polished items: too much of a pain in the **** to clean
5. Tires: Good wash followed by the 303. No crisco look for me I prefer the new cleanlook
6.Windows: Wash and chamois followed by a spotfree buff from a microfiber towel
7.Interioroorjambswiped with aslightly wet chamois, then a dry oneand 303 everywhere else.
8.Leather: 303
9. After all is said and done a quick wiping of the exterior with Mist & Shine and a microfiber. enhances the polish

This is my so say guidelines that I follow. As for my products its a short List

Wizards Products: All washes, polishes, sealants, awesome stuff and smells sofrickin yummy.
303 Products
Cajun Clean-All microfiber cloths ( best one I used and a sort of local company)
Absorber
e
Old May 9th, 2007, 9:23 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm a big Poorboys World fan, so I mostly use all of his products. Here's my two pennies:

1. Sponges are bad. Lambswool mits are good. Also use a grit guard in the bottom of your bucket so your mit doesn't pick up the dirt that falls off of it. Never use regular dish soap because it will strip off the wax. I use NXT car soap, or Poorboys Super Slick Suds and Wash.
2. I use a Porter Cable buffer with Poorboys products. I only do it about once a year, but two would be better. I use a clay bar first, then do his swirl removers (SSR2.5 and SSR1), then I use his sealers, either EX or EX-P. They are different and do different things. EX is for solid dark colors and adds depth, and EX-P is for lighter cars and metalic flake paint to really make it "pop". After that, sometimes I add some Natty's wax to add some longevity to the finish.
3. Not much needed on factory chrome trim since it's all plastic or clearcoated.
4. I just wash the 20's with car wash soap. You could add Poorboy's Wheel Sealant to make them super slick and easy to clean.
5. Sometimes I'll use Eagle 1 AtoZ wheel and tire cleaner. But thats only when they are super dirty. On the tahoe I just use Poorboys Bold and Brite tire dressing. It cleans and shines. It's one of the few water based ones out there, so it won't stain your driveway. The downfall is that it doesn't last as long as some of the others.
6. Windex is ok, but I prefer the Stoner Glass cleaner with a microfiber towel.
7. 303 is fine. I just use Poorboys Natural Look because it's not super shiny.
8. Poorboys Leather cleaner and conditioner.

I'm not affiliated with Poorboys at all. I just like their products because they work good, are priced good, and the service is great. Always use good microfiber towels. I use a waffle weave microfiber to dry. The idea is to not introduce any scratches so you don't have to use the swirl mark removers, but somehow they always show up. []
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:12 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks for your input guys. It's off to Checker to pick up some products. I do have one question for both. It seems like Lambswool mits and microfiber towels will both pick up dirt easily and contain it within the mit/towel while washing, thus producing scratches. That's why I have been told by some that sponges are the best to wash with since they don't hold onto dirt as easily as the others. Am I way off here?
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:58 PM
CF Active Member

I'm a big believer in the Adams Polishes which can be purchased online.

~dig
Old May 9th, 2007, 5:55 PM
e
CF Senior Member

If you rinse the micro's often enough it really doesn't build up. I also use two to wash to help keep them clean and speed things up. I always havea Black ride and never had any problems with the micro's. I like the fact that you can sort of speak" feel thepaint" when you wash. Also when those damn lovebugs are here, like now, you can feel them as well and those rags are miracle workers on them. Good call on the dirt guard Frey, I left that part out. I use a larger grid screen but same idea.......keeps them off the bottom.
Old May 9th, 2007, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

Dawn dish soap is good for completely stripping off wax and polishes from the paint. I would strongly suggest that you use some type of protectant on the exterior paint after you use Dawn. Most automotive car wash solutions will not remove protectants, or atleast they minimize it.

Windex is good on windows that have factory tints, if you have aftermarket tint applied then be sure to use a cleaner without ammonia. Mild soap and water will generally clean most glass. I apply Zaino to my glass when I polish, sure makes cleaning the windows a lot easier.
Old August 8th, 2021, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 2013 Suburban from a dealership and the detail job they did has left everything sticky...... The carpet is stiff like they didn't rinse out the soap. The dash, steering wheel, and everything vinyl is super sticky to the touch. Do you think they used cleaner that damaged the vinyl or just left a sticky residue? What product do I use to fix this? Thanks in advance for any advice.