Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

water leak

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2009, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 98 suburban leak on passenger side

well it rained and no leak my leak has stopped went out today and ran water down the windshield and cowl box still not leak so lets hope its fixed now i just have to silicone where my antenna wire gomments are and flush my driverside drain out which is not leaking or clogged but i will take it loose just to make sure no leaves or dirt is in there im satisfied just dont have a passenger side drain but its just rain water but my leak is fixed i spent $8 foaming the passenger corner off the cowl box off now i got to get my new windshield and um done on to the next job to get keep my truck up its clean to i ordered my new sound system now im happy
Old January 6th, 2010, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up yeaaah

i got no more leakage in my truck tommorow i can start hooking up my new sound system
Old January 6th, 2010, 9:41 PM
CF Junior Member

You know this might not be a cure to the problem but as a proffesional audio installer and advisor, My shop would be shut down and sued if we ran a power wire on the wrong side of the vehicle let alone remove a gromet and not replace it or at least seal it back up. If it were me I would make sure they were to pay for the repair. just my feeling. Sorry if that upsets people but Ive done this proffesionaly for to long to not see this happen before.
Old January 7th, 2010, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default mobile one audio sound yeah right

dude i understand your you take pride in your job but you know when people go to get things done to their vehicle you expect the best i paid them $2500 and another $1800 to hookup two systems n two cars and the car i had no problems just they was closing and just threw my system together and paid cash upfront in full for the $2500 4 boston acoustics 6x9 2 12"jl w3v2 punch 900 punch 500 alpine radio cap and all that other unessecary stuff that didnt get put in my car then went back n did the suburban man they ****ed me good i was hitting hard but the job was how you say ****a rigged my suburban they just didnt put the gomment back so for a while the water was coming in i didnt know til i pulled the mats to give it a good cleaning but hey its fixed and raining now so when i go out tommorow to finish my sound system ill see for sure if its fixed all that money i paid for pro setup i paid just $457 for a whole new kenwood setup amps included so im happy to say i will never go to a audio shop again no offense on your behalf but some companies just want your money and give you what they want when it comes to services thank for the reply
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

My 96 Burb does this, but only while it's parked. I've never had the problem show up while running. It's only if it's been parked during a downpour. I'm thinking that it's coming from the vent intake and ductwork.
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Yea thats terrible that your expeirance had to be that way, dont feel bad about not going to an audio shop again because its true they want your money and acctually I think thats why we are struggling is because all the stuff you had installed, by us would have not even come close to that price. for the sub and amp install it would only have been 75$ and 45$ per door speaker and its crappy because we take our time to do everything right like, soldering all conections, never using compresion clips and so forth, so yea its kinda bad that you had to deal with that. But as long as you could get it figured out and enjoy it now thats what counts.
Old January 11th, 2010, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default hey i got a question

Originally Posted by 981500k
You know this might not be a cure to the problem but as a proffesional audio installer and advisor, My shop would be shut down and sued if we ran a power wire on the wrong side of the vehicle let alone remove a gromet and not replace it or at least seal it back up. If it were me I would make sure they were to pay for the repair. just my feeling. Sorry if that upsets people but Ive done this proffesionaly for to long to not see this happen before.
i hooked my sound up and it hit good but it drowns my highs out but why when the truck running it dont hit good it sound choppy could that be bad ground or i shud have ran power wire on opposite side of my rca patch wires
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 96TXhoe
New to the forum, been reading for a few dayss. I have a 96 2 dr. 5.7 ltr.Tahoe . I love this truck and plan on spending,
(have already) spent $$$. Anyway, this is the first of many ?'s. I have a water leak on the passanger side in between the firewall or the door jam. It leaks on the passanger floorboard steady when it rains. I have a general idea where to caulk but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before I go nuts and glue my hood shut.
If you look on your passenger's side there is an encap on the end of the windshield cowling that scews down with an inch in a half Phillips screw.

If you pull that screw & that encap you will see a phillips scew underneath it. IF the screw is missing leaving a hole, it will be a straight shot to the floor inside of the truck causing a leak.

This is only true for the passenger side.

There are other "things" to check for so if you are in the TN area, give me a call I can help 615-497-6369

Hope this helps!

Ron

Last edited by MDTAHOE; November 15th, 2011 at 7:24 PM.
Old September 28th, 2012, 8:06 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I just purchased a 1996 GMC Sierra K1500 and have a leak on the passenger side but it has nothing to do with rain. Anybody have any ideas?
Old September 29th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe the heater core. Do you smell antifreeze?

Quick Reply: water leak