Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

What to look for when buying a used '09-'12 Tahoe/Suburban?

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying a used '09-'12 Tahoe/Suburban?

I looked around on the forums and didn't come across anything to address these exact questions, but I apologize if this is stuff that has been discussed at length elsewhere and I just missed it.

I've narrowed my search down to the Tahoe, 1500 Suburban, Expedition, or Expedition EL. Need to haul around family of four (including 2 car seats), plus two labs, plus strollers and related "stuff." Looking 2009 or newer, mileage preferably under 40k, something we plan to keep for at least ten years or so. Tow package is a must, as I'm looking to upgrade our family travel-trailer to one that will weigh ~6500-7k fully loaded, with an 800-900 TW (w/ a weight distribution hitch). We typically tow imostly no more than an hour away 4-5 times a year, with one or two trips of 4+ hours away per year. I think the 2500 is really overkill for what we need.

I like the look and reputation of the Chevys better, but the car lots are dealing pretty hard on the Fords right now, plus I like the increased tow capacity of the Expedition (although for what I'm towing it seems the Suburban/Tahoe would be adequate).

My main concern about the Tahoe is the room behind the 3d row seat -- seems there isn't enough to fit both my dogs, since we'll put a double jogging stroller and kid stuff in the 3d row seat if we want to take the whole family somewhere. We're upgrading from a 4Runner, and even if you fold the 3d row seats flat, I'm not sure the Tahoe has any more useable cargo floor space in it than the 4Runner we already have. I'm also a little concerned that the wheelbase on the Tahoe might be a little too short if I get a trailer in the 25-27' range.

So here are my questions:
1) Any input on why I should choose Chevy over Ford? If you looked at the Expedition, why'd you pick the Tahoe/Suburban?
2) Anyone with a Tahoe able to haul around multiple dogs, multiple kids, strollers, etc? And if so, what's your set-up like? I suppose I could fold the 3d row up or take it out, bungee or strap the strollers and stuff to one side, and the dogs could have the other side? But that seems like a pain just for a trip to the beach, park, etc.
3) Any common flaws, recalls, mechanical issues, or other things to look out for with the Tahoes or Suburbans in the 2009-2012 range?
4) Any complaints or comments regarding towing with your 09-12 Tahoe/Suburban?
5) Anything else I should look out for or be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
Old March 25th, 2013, 6:25 PM
CF Active Member

Scott,

Welcome to the forum. I was in the same position as you. I have always had pickup trucks and my wife felt that it was time for something with more interior room for hauling around our family. We looked at a number of vehicles and decided on the Suburban.

There is not a lot of difference between the Suburban and Tahoe, but the Tahoe doesn't have the storage ability that we needed. We were used to have a 6' 6" box with a cap, and even the Suburban is a downgrade for storage.

I have always been a GM fan. However, Ford makes nice vehicles too and from a lot of discussion around here lately, the Ford Technology, if you are interested in it, is further along. The Expedition is a nice big vehicle. Since you are looking at towing, you can get a diesel in it, while Chevy has not had a diesel for many years. There is talk about a diesel coming soon, but we will have to wait and see.

To me, you would be better with the Suburban. The Tahoe doesn't have any space behind the rear seat, while the Suburban does. You would have to remove the rear seat in the Tahoe for your requirements.

There are always lots of small issues, but from my point of view, try and get a 6 speed. They are better on fuel. Also, if you are looking for a 4wd, get one with the 2 speed transfer case. You can read Edmunds reports on each years features and problems. The best model will be the 2013, as it is the last year and there were very few changes between 2012 and 2013, before they shutdown to retool. There is lots of information on here about these vehicles and if you do some reading, you will be able get a feel for some common issues. Please see the sticky area too!

You are getting closer to the requirement for a 2500, but you should be ok with a 1500, as long stay in the range you have noted. If you get the tow package and use the tow / haul option, you are within the spec. There is a thread that was started over the weekend discussing towing and whether a new truck is required. It is worth reading, based upon your needs.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...w-truck-57261/

There is always lots to consider when you purchase a new vehicle. However, in your case, you have done some homework and know basically what you want. You need to spend some time looking at a number of vehicles, drive them and make sure that they meet your requirements. Unfortunately, when you buy used, you have to make some concessions, but in the end, you will find something that you are happy with. Since you are going to keep the truck for 10 years, make sure it is rust proofed.

Good luck in your search. I am sure that if you have any questions, someone will try and help answer your questions.
Old March 25th, 2013, 9:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Mulmur1 my wife thought we needed more interior space, so we went from a pickup truck to a 2011 Suburban. We decided on the suburban be cause we needed that back back seat space for our 2 labs as well. The suburban is great with tons of room.
Old March 25th, 2013, 9:17 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Another option would be an Avalanche. But I'm not sure you can drop the mid-gate w/ the 2nd row seats up.
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mulmur1
Scott,

Welcome to the forum. I was in the same position as you. I have always had pickup trucks and my wife felt that it was time for something with more interior room for hauling around our family. We looked at a number of vehicles and decided on the Suburban.

There is not a lot of difference between the Suburban and Tahoe, but the Tahoe doesn't have the storage ability that we needed. We were used to have a 6' 6" box with a cap, and even the Suburban is a downgrade for storage.

I have always been a GM fan. However, Ford makes nice vehicles too and from a lot of discussion around here lately, the Ford Technology, if you are interested in it, is further along. The Expedition is a nice big vehicle. Since you are looking at towing, you can get a diesel in it, while Chevy has not had a diesel for many years. There is talk about a diesel coming soon, but we will have to wait and see.

To me, you would be better with the Suburban. The Tahoe doesn't have any space behind the rear seat, while the Suburban does. You would have to remove the rear seat in the Tahoe for your requirements.

There are always lots of small issues, but from my point of view, try and get a 6 speed. They are better on fuel. Also, if you are looking for a 4wd, get one with the 2 speed transfer case. You can read Edmunds reports on each years features and problems. The best model will be the 2013, as it is the last year and there were very few changes between 2012 and 2013, before they shutdown to retool. There is lots of information on here about these vehicles and if you do some reading, you will be able get a feel for some common issues. Please see the sticky area too!

You are getting closer to the requirement for a 2500, but you should be ok with a 1500, as long stay in the range you have noted. If you get the tow package and use the tow / haul option, you are within the spec. There is a thread that was started over the weekend discussing towing and whether a new truck is required. It is worth reading, based upon your needs.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...w-truck-57261/

There is always lots to consider when you purchase a new vehicle. However, in your case, you have done some homework and know basically what you want. You need to spend some time looking at a number of vehicles, drive them and make sure that they meet your requirements. Unfortunately, when you buy used, you have to make some concessions, but in the end, you will find something that you are happy with. Since you are going to keep the truck for 10 years, make sure it is rust proofed.

Good luck in your search. I am sure that if you have any questions, someone will try and help answer your questions.
Thanks for the great info. We don't really need 4wd, so that's not a priority. Also, since we live in a dry arid climate with no snow, I'm not too concerned about rust-proofing. But it's good to consider the extra space considerations of the Burb over the Tahoe -- that was my primary concern.

Thanks as well for the warm welcome.
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Another option would be an Avalanche. But I'm not sure you can drop the mid-gate w/ the 2nd row seats up.
I've towed with a friend's Avalanche -- it's a great truck. But we'd really like more interior space.
Old March 26th, 2013, 4:06 PM
CF Junior Member

That is exactly what we just went through. Looking for a 2009-12 SUV. We tow a 2009 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS TT. With two boys 7 and 9 and two Great Danes in the back. doesn't tow it like my F250 (you can feel the trailer more) but it is very capable and way more comfortable.

The burb vs. Tahoe: they cost about the same, they get the same fuel economy and I don't notice the extra 20" until we put the dogs back there with the third row in. Doesn’t really cost you anything to have the extra room. We use the space all the time.

We looked at both Ford and Chevy two different times and the Suburban won both times, the first was in 2005 and the Ford would have won if they had an EL back then (I liked the looks better than the Chevy) but we wanted the extra room. Last month we looked again at both and the chevy won.

As far as Ford vs Chevy: there is more room in the burb than the expedition. the expedition EL is closer to the Burb in size. You can get a 1500 Burb with the 6.0l v8 it will only cost you 1 mpg and might be nicer if you do a lot of towing.

here are my opinions: The suburban’s interior is nicer you sit in the suburban’s seats, whereas, you sit on the Expeditions seats. the burbs cockpit wraps around you the fords is very flat kinda plain or industrial, but you can get the gear shifter in the consul if that matters. The outside of the suburban looks better, the Ford looks dated. The Burb has a smooth plush ride the Ford has a stiffer, sportier ride. You can get a king ranch Expedition, but I don’t like the king ranch leather it shows wear too much and you cannot repair it like smooth leather can. As far as a Diesel in an Expedition I have only seen ones with diesels that have been custom added. There was talk about putting a 4.4l diesel in but it never happened. I think the next gen will go with the 5.0l V8 or the ecoboost.

You can get an Excursion with a diesel but they stopped production in 2005. I do like the looks of the Excursion however. but these are 3/4 tons and drink fuel, you might get better economy with the V10 over the V8 (the 5.3 has no business being in that beast) our 2000 v10 got 13mpg highway, the 7.3l Diesel is good if you can find them and the 6.0l diesel… well that is why I will never buy a Ford Diesel again. But the Excursion will be overkill for your situation.

Just my $.02

Good luck with your search, be patient you will find the right vehicle for you.

Last edited by Blue Dog; March 26th, 2013 at 4:10 PM. Reason: 6.0l
Old March 26th, 2013, 4:30 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Rust proofing is just a profit center for dealers. Most, if not all, new vehicles use galvanized metal and full immersion priming.
Old March 26th, 2013, 6:38 PM
CF Active Member

73Shark,

I agree with you about dealer rustproofing or any single application tar based product. It is just a waste of money. After it starts to dry out and is sandblasted off, the moisture is caught in it and it helps to promote corrosion.

I was talking about oil spraying yearly. It seems to work pretty well and the Military vehicles from the base in our area have it done as well. Unfortunately, the rocker panels and the rear cab corners on the pickup trucks, always seem to rust out, if you do not spend a little extra time spraying inside them.

Lucky for Scott, he is a nice warm climate where they don't use road salt.
Old March 26th, 2013, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Blue Dog
That is exactly what we just went through. Looking for a 2009-12 SUV. We tow a 2009 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS TT. With two boys 7 and 9 and two Great Danes in the back. doesn't tow it like my F250 (you can feel the trailer more) but it is very capable and way more comfortable.

The burb vs. Tahoe: they cost about the same, they get the same fuel economy and I don't notice the extra 20" until we put the dogs back there with the third row in. Doesn’t really cost you anything to have the extra room. We use the space all the time.

We looked at both Ford and Chevy two different times and the Suburban won both times, the first was in 2005 and the Ford would have won if they had an EL back then (I liked the looks better than the Chevy) but we wanted the extra room. Last month we looked again at both and the chevy won.

As far as Ford vs Chevy: there is more room in the burb than the expedition. the expedition EL is closer to the Burb in size. You can get a 1500 Burb with the 6.0l v8 it will only cost you 1 mpg and might be nicer if you do a lot of towing.

here are my opinions: The suburban’s interior is nicer you sit in the suburban’s seats, whereas, you sit on the Expeditions seats. the burbs cockpit wraps around you the fords is very flat kinda plain or industrial, but you can get the gear shifter in the consul if that matters. The outside of the suburban looks better, the Ford looks dated. The Burb has a smooth plush ride the Ford has a stiffer, sportier ride. You can get a king ranch Expedition, but I don’t like the king ranch leather it shows wear too much and you cannot repair it like smooth leather can. As far as a Diesel in an Expedition I have only seen ones with diesels that have been custom added. There was talk about putting a 4.4l diesel in but it never happened. I think the next gen will go with the 5.0l V8 or the ecoboost.

You can get an Excursion with a diesel but they stopped production in 2005. I do like the looks of the Excursion however. but these are 3/4 tons and drink fuel, you might get better economy with the V10 over the V8 (the 5.3 has no business being in that beast) our 2000 v10 got 13mpg highway, the 7.3l Diesel is good if you can find them and the 6.0l diesel… well that is why I will never buy a Ford Diesel again. But the Excursion will be overkill for your situation.

Just my $.02

Good luck with your search, be patient you will find the right vehicle for you.
This is all really helpful info. After reading all the comments, I think we've concluded that the Tahoe/Expedition won't be big enough, so we need the longer EL or Suburban, so it's down to those two. While I like the Suburban better, it seems the deals I keep finding are on the Expedition ELs. We're not in a huge hurry to buy, so I'll keep looking.

I also looked at the Excursion, and actually tried to buy a friend's diesel Excursion, but that might be overkill, and the wife says she doesn't want it as her daily driver.

What's the weight on your TT?

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a used '09-'12 Tahoe/Suburban?