Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

What to look for when buying a used '09-'12 Tahoe/Suburban?

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2013, 8:52 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

And the dealer applied stuff filled a lot of drain holes which led to more rust.

GM is using some type of petro-based product on the frames now that doesn't harden.
Old April 9th, 2013, 5:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottji
This is all really helpful info. After reading all the comments, I think we've concluded that the Tahoe/Expedition won't be big enough, so we need the longer EL or Suburban, so it's down to those two. While I like the Suburban better, it seems the deals I keep finding are on the Expedition ELs. We're not in a huge hurry to buy, so I'll keep looking.

I also looked at the Excursion, and actually tried to buy a friend's diesel Excursion, but that might be overkill, and the wife says she doesn't want it as her daily driver.

What's the weight on your TT?
Sorry I missed this.

Our TT has a GVWR of 7500lbs, single slide 30'

Even if you don't use the extra room in a Suburban or Expedition EL, it doesn't really cost you much to get it. I figured it was better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I love the Excursions but the wife just wouldn't go that route, I have my truck. It is a heavy duty truck and will last a long time but the parts ain't cheap, and the ride is not a smooth as a chevy. If your friends excursion is a 6.0l diesel (2003-2005) I would stay away from it. The only blessing with the 6.0l in my F250 is that it died and I replaced with a Cummins.
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Blue Dog
Sorry I missed this.

Our TT has a GVWR of 7500lbs, single slide 30'

Even if you don't use the extra room in a Suburban or Expedition EL, it doesn't really cost you much to get it. I figured it was better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I love the Excursions but the wife just wouldn't go that route, I have my truck. It is a heavy duty truck and will last a long time but the parts ain't cheap, and the ride is not a smooth as a chevy. If your friends excursion is a 6.0l diesel (2003-2005) I would stay away from it. The only blessing with the 6.0l in my F250 is that it died and I replaced with a Cummins.
Our current TT is a small 3500 lb 21 ft. It's fine for us, my daughter, and the dogs, but the family is growing. In the next 2-3 years, I see us moving up to something in the 25-27 ft range, closer to 6500 lbs, hence the bigger tow vehicle.

I agree with you on the extra space. Used, there really isn't much of a cost difference, and there really isn't an MPG difference, so I figure might as well get the extra space. Plus the longer wheelbase helps with towing. The Expy ELs are harder to find though, but they are typically less expensive. We test drove both last weekend, and the wife seems to like the way the Expy drove better. (I know I'm on a Chevy forum and fully accept any harassment I'm about to get). But both are still on our map.
Old April 11th, 2013, 11:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by scottji
Our current TT is a small 3500 lb 21 ft. It's fine for us, my daughter, and the dogs, but the family is growing. In the next 2-3 years, I see us moving up to something in the 25-27 ft range, closer to 6500 lbs, hence the bigger tow vehicle.

I agree with you on the extra space. Used, there really isn't much of a cost difference, and there really isn't an MPG difference, so I figure might as well get the extra space. Plus the longer wheelbase helps with towing. The Expy ELs are harder to find though, but they are typically less expensive. We test drove both last weekend, and the wife seems to like the way the Expy drove better. (I know I'm on a Chevy forum and fully accept any harassment I'm about to get). But both are still on our map.
I know the feeling about out growing a TT. with two kids and 2 Danes we needed more room. this is what we started out with. It's an 8'x5' teardrop that I built, and our old 2005 burb. The Trailer we have now has a dry weight of 6500 lbs.

I don't think there is a better vehicle between the chevy and ford. both build a good vehicle and you will/could have issues with any car maker. One of the worst cars I've had was a Subaru. It really comes down to if you like the looks, the ride, and the deal.
Attached Thumbnails What to look for when buying a used '09-'12 Tahoe/Suburban?-tear_pic.jpg  
Old April 11th, 2013, 11:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Duplicate post

Last edited by Blue Dog; April 11th, 2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: duplicate post