Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

What's up with my truck?

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2013, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What's up with my truck?

Hey guys, aside from the dozens of other questions I will eventually have. I have to post my main concern. The rear end of my suburban feels loose?

Specs: 2003 Chevy 2500 LT Auto Ride Suburban
I love this rig. I put brand new tires on it, drove less then 15 miles and I got so scared I had to pull over just to catch my own breath. This thing freaked me out.

I've owned "this" rig for about 6m when I decided to put new tires on it,
Same size, same brand, same style, just NEW

Whenever there is a dip, bump, warble, unevenness to the road this thing fish tails now. If I get in the wind of a semi I'm tossed about like a fiat. I've completely lost control of my truck now with these tires. Forget dodging a squirrel I will be upside down in a ditch. absolutely NO control!

I have 3 children and no longer feel safe driving it. With this auto ride, I fear that having it on the lift somehow damaged/broke a sensor or ???
She's tight on the ground, takes effort to rock her back and fourth. No lights, messages.
NO WAY in double hockey stick town will I hook a trailer to this thing, nor do I drive over 60 (our limits are 70/75 here) due to this things lack of handling ability. I drive her like a paranoid 87yr old granny.
What the heck is wrong??

And so you guys don't think ima stupid paranoid girl, my hands have been in grease and under hoods more then the average bumper jockey. So I do know about vehicles.

Last edited by in2pro; August 7th, 2013 at 2:39 PM. Reason: thread moved to Tahoe/Suburban threads for more exposure
Old August 7th, 2013, 2:37 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Have you gotten under it and inspected every piece of suspension and linkage...
check for worn or missing sway bar bushings and end links.. both from and rear...
check the shocks for their rubber grommets on both ends..
Do you have really tall tires that might be getting a lot of sidewall roll, tire pressure too low?
All lug nuts in place and tight?
Have someone drive behind you and as you gently do S's see if they can spot any particularly unusual movement in the body...
Old August 7th, 2013, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

I have some worn grommets, but they've been -long ago- worn.
Chevy has the tire pressure set 50 front 80 rear. I've never ran my tires that high, or odd, always the same, all 4's and -5 under.
Should I try that? I don't have TPS so I can run them the way I want.
Old August 7th, 2013, 2:58 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

worn grommets and worn sway bar bushing can all add up after time...
But given that you just put new tires on, changing the air pressure might be a cheap easy place to start...
Old August 7th, 2013, 4:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see you running upward toward 80 if you're carrying a load or Towing.
But for general use, 50psi in all 4's should do. I'd put the same in each Tire, just to eliminate any sway because of different pressures.

What Tire and Size did you put on it ?

I know this may sound stupid, but...
Have you looked closely at All 4 Tires ?
Are they All the same Size ?
Do they All have the same Tread Pattern ?
Is the Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure the same for All ?

Last edited by SWHouston; August 7th, 2013 at 4:23 PM.
Old August 7th, 2013, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

245/75/16 goodyears ATs
I agree, I checked the tires 1st thing and was like WTH? When I checked the door for the mfg tires I seem that,
I'm thinking of dropping the psi out of the rears and seeing, as well as "S" like Pro said.
Yes, I checked because I paid for OWLs and weights on the inside. I got the inside weights and no owls... Was royally pissed about that too, I look like the FBI now.....
Old August 7th, 2013, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

* 265/75/16
Old August 8th, 2013, 3:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imbugzluv
245/75/16 goodyears ATs
I agree, I checked the tires 1st thing and was like WTH? When I checked the door for the mfg tires I seem that,
I'm thinking of dropping the psi out of the rears and seeing, as well as "S" like Pro said.
Yes, I checked because I paid for OWLs and weights on the inside. I got the inside weights and no owls... Was royally pissed about that too, I look like the FBI now.....
I'm not sure if you're using/have the 245's or 265's... which ?

If you have the Wrangler AT's, I don't understand why they didn't come with OWL's !?! Or did you get one of the other AT type Tires ?

Also, what size does it give for your original size ?
You can find that size on written on a Tag, stuck on the Drivers Door.
Old August 8th, 2013, 4:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Were they LT265s or P265s?

With a 3/4 ton Sub, I would hope that whoever mounted your tires put on LTs. They have a much stiffer sidewall and are built to handle 80 psi. That said, I wouldn't recommend 80 psi if you don't have it maxxed out with cargo and a trailer. 50 psi is a plenty. How deep is the tread? I once put new michelins on a service truck I was running at the time, and the tread was so deep and the truck so heavy, it had that 'greasy feel' when turning or changing lanes. I doubt there is anything seriously wrong with your suspension if the tires are all that has changed.