Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

when is it time to retire the 99 suburban

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2013, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when is it time to retire the 99 suburban

I have a 99 suburban with the 5.7 liter. 140k for miles. Lifters have been acting up on occasion but better in winter. With a young family and a new love of camping (camper) I am considering a 08 Denali with the 6.2. Am I getting rid of the old girl too soon or just departure pains? She has had her problems but has treated me well. I feel like there is more to loose then to gain by holding on to her longer. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old January 16th, 2013, 7:06 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum

I would say as long as the repair cost don't exceed much more the 25% of the value of the vehicle it may be cheaper to keep her

However that is mechanical value, if you need interior work, paint and body they that has to be taken in to consideration....

I had a lot of qualms about letting go of my 97 for my 07, but it quickly faded
I bought new, your are getting a used so keep in mind you may be facing some expenditures (minor hopefully) on top of the monthly payments....
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:53 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Are you the first owner? Has it been well maintained since new? If it was well maintained and gives no trouble then it is still worth keeping. I have a 99 Silverado since new and it still runs like it was new. And it is paid for.
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:29 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are at the right time for upgrade.... old one still has some value, might as well get it if you can...

:chug:
Old January 17th, 2013, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the welcome. Currently things are working but I have kept a record of the normal repairs that had occured in the past and majority of them were around the 65-80k mile mark. As history repeats itself I can only predict that a new water pump alternator starter And brakes are in the not so distant future. Probably some new repairs too. I do most that workmyself but even still I would be nearing the 25 percent rule. Guess I m making a case for a new burban. Thanks again.
Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum

I would say as long as the repair cost don't exceed much more the 25% of the value of the vehicle it may be cheaper to keep her

However that is mechanical value, if you need interior work, paint and body they that has to be taken in to consideration....

I had a lot of qualms about letting go of my 97 for my 07, but it quickly faded
I bought new, your are getting a used so keep in mind you may be facing some expenditures (minor hopefully) on top of the monthly payments....
Old March 7th, 2013, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 1992 suburban with 188000+ miles and my wife and I had to make a choice between a new car, van or something but we went with keeping the burban. We didnt want a payment & higher insurance. We are mostly finished making it very dependible it has had a rebuilt trans & rear, many new steering & suspension parts, radiator, tires & most of the other normal wear parts. The next plan in a year or so is the engine then fun stuff (paint, bumpers, lights, etc....). I dont think my family will ever get rid of it. My 12yr old daughter already wants it LOL.
Just my 2 cents..