Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Where to put brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2019, 7:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to put brake controller?

I have a 2016 Suburban LT without the tow package. We purchased a new camper and now need to add a brake controller to the Suburban. My wife is primary driver of Suburban, so I need advice on a small brake controller and also where to attach it that's fairly inconspicuous. Thanks, Mike
Old January 29th, 2019, 8:22 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Ours is under the dash. I ran a dedicated wire with circuit breaker back to the hitch wiring connector
Old January 30th, 2019, 12:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Tekonsha is the best aftermarket brake controller on the market. Their P3 is the gold standard.

Most people put them on the underside of the dash. In my '01 Suburban, I put it under the dash about where the driver's right leg would go. But it was an awkward position when I had to manually apply the brakes to adjust the gain, and I honestly would have no chance of reaching it and manually activating the trailer brakes in an emergency.

For my current two trucks, I have the controller mounted under the dash, all the way on the left above the parking brake pedal. Less awkward of a reach, but there was a bit of a learning curve for me to stop whacking my knee on it as I exited the trucks. I'm kinda tall - 6' 2".

You don't need to leave it in the truck if you don't tow frequently. The holder/sleeve uses 2 (or three?) screws to attach to the dash, and you'll have a plug at the rear of the controller for the wiring, so you could just remove/unplug the controller when not in use, and even the holder.
Old January 30th, 2019, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted the P3 right next to inner console above the gas pedal.
It sound intrusive , but this location worked out the best to avoid climbing in and around the brake controller .