Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Whining sound with acceleration

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2018, 5:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any answers?

I’ve been having the same sound with my vw Jetta gli. Thought rain made it more noticeable to hear. My car had been idling just a tiny bit higher when I start her and if I press on the gas and release her, is when the sound starts. No engine light and I do take proper care of the maintenance.
Old January 11th, 2019, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

Possibly differentials or wheel bearings.
Originally Posted by LARIDERS
could check the pullys to make sure they are all good. if you rev it up not moving is the noise still there?
rear differential
Old February 27th, 2019, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

I’m new here, how can I post. I have a 2015 LTZ whining at 63000 miles when I accelerate?
Old February 28th, 2019, 5:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the sound seem to come from the rear differential? If it is only on acceleration, I'd suspect the pinion bearings.
Old April 30th, 2019, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default Whistling noise

Did you find the solution to your problem I have an 03 Chevy Silverado doing the same thing I changed the carrier bearing and that wasn't it.
Old June 20th, 2019, 9:32 PM
Jpw
CF Beginner

Default Had same issue on 03 avalanche

Originally Posted by belving6
I have a 99 with 170k miles. I'm hearing this whining sound that starts around 40 mph. It's faint and only happens when on the accelerator. Goes away when letting off the gas and comes back when on the gas. Its constant while cruising. Sounds like it is coming from the front but not sure. After taking it to 3 mechanics, diagnosis was trany pump was going out and i needed new transmission. Took it to have the trany rebuilt and there was nothing wrong with trany. So far I have replaced differential fluids in front and rear, front differential gear and bearing, pitman arm, trany diagnosed, U joints, front and rear brakes. Unfortunately after lots of money and mechanics, I still have no idea what is causing the noise. Anyone ever experience this before? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
This drove me crazy had the same issue thought transmission at first but fluid was clean and it shifted pretty good for the mileage. So I started checking pulleys. Bearing was grinding on alternator so I changed it but that didn’t fix it. Took a stethoscope after that listened to trans in gear and in park at idle and torqued. Nothing out of ordinary so checked pulleys noticed a small whine while idling on power steering pump but it didn’t match the sound. Checked the tensioner and heard the bearing grinding at idle so had my wife come out and hold it between 1500-2000 rpms where I noticed the sound the most while driving put the stethoscope on the tensioner and heard the same whining I was getting going down the road. Changed the tensioner and idler and belt and whine is gone. Never had a bad tensioner sound like this before they usually just make the belt squeal but that was my issue check pulleys first way less expensive than tearing into the transmission if that’s not the problem. Not saying it can’t be a transmission issue but luckily mine was an easy fix. Good luck hope this helps someone else searching for this noise.
Old June 26th, 2019, 5:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default 00 Silverado 2500hd deceleration noise

I have a 00 Silverado 2500HD going down the freeway speed limit is 80 I drive 42 miles one way when I get to my exit I kick off cruise control but stay on the throttle untill I'm at about 65mph then I take my exit. I dont hit the brake I let the truck and engine slow me down as it's a long off ramp as soon as I took my foot of the gas it sounded like I had put it in reverse I pushed on the gas noise went away I get to work truck seems fine... ok I thought maybe it will make it another 42 miles home wrong made it 17 miles and the planataries seized no more gears so I take it to a transmission shop 4000.00 later trucks seems to be great however now I have a whine in first gear and only first because as soon as it shifts to 2nd the noise is gone. The 3rd day of having the truck back I take it to work drive that 42 miles and when I take the exit at 65mph let off the gas and the sound happens again!?! WTH is this sound everything is new and serviced but it really sounds like when it downshifts it just sits between gears untill I stop or press the throttle again. And the noise is random it does not happen at ever exit or even slowing down on the freeway any suggestion??

Last edited by Gotti Father; June 26th, 2019 at 5:35 AM.
Old August 11th, 2019, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Are you still having these issues because my vehicle is doing the same.. it governs out at 40 then after the whining the rpms sometimes return to normal. I’m at a loss I just had a new transmission put in 1 1/2 ago??!?
Old August 26th, 2019, 5:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hey did you ever figure out what was wrong

Originally Posted by realestateguy123
I have a 1999 tahoe and am having the same issues as 2005TahoeSS stated. The exact same sound. I even made a video and posted to Youtube, but no comments. About 4 months ago I replaced all the brake components on the front. New calibers, rotors, pads, master cylinder, and brake booster. I replaced in the last month the rear drums, shoes, axle seals, and bearings. Serviced the front and rear differentials, and replaced the front hub assemblies. I was hearing a squeaking sound, and thought it was coming from the front, so I took apart my front brakes to put some brake grease on the contact points. After doing this, the sound started. I found that one of my rear drums was ate up after fixing them, and thats when I put new drums, shoes, did the bearings, axle seals, and serviced the rear differential. Trying to find the cause of this noise is when I did the front differential, and hub assemblies. I also replaced the Universal joints on the driveshaft. It sounds like it is in the front, and I feel a vibration in the gas pedal and floorboard. I have considered the carrier bearings, and pinion bearing, but I found it odd the noise started after greasing the front brake contact points, but there is no uneven wear on the front pads or rotors or anything indicating it is brake related. I am at a loss for words, as the sound keeps getting worse. Here is a video I made, I hope it is allowed here. There are no ads or anything, as I'm just trying to find a solution to my dilemma. https://youtu.be/T6XaoELnsmY
Did you ever figure out what this was
The following users liked this post:
Paintguy68 (November 23rd, 2019)
Old September 5th, 2019, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Having a similar issue with 2005 Tahoe 4x4

Originally Posted by Jessica Warren
Did you ever figure out what this was
the humming sound comes on acceleration and seems to slow down when not on the gas. The video shows the sound and you can hear it change as I get on the gas. I haven’t noticed anything clunking or anything. I checked front wheels and they didn’t seem to show bad wheel bearing from test but may be.

Last edited by Blatta1999; September 5th, 2019 at 7:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blatta1999:
Dkking (November 13th, 2019), Paintguy68 (November 23rd, 2019)

Quick Reply: Whining sound with acceleration