Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Windshield Problem?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Problem?!?!?

Woke up this morning and got in my truck to see a 9" crack running almost dead straight across my front windshield. It was about halfway up the window from the far passenger side over?!?! It stays in the garage and the weather hasn't been cold enough to cause any problems. Nothing could have fallen on it either. I noticed last week more wind noise from the windshield area than normal. I did lower the truck a few weeks ago and got a little stiffer ride but have lowered many of my vehicles before and nothing like this has ever happened.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Windshield Problem?!?!?

Ouch! Did you maybe get a stone chip from driving? That sounds really weird. A little harsher ride isn't gonna break a windshield, they're pretty strong. I break em at work all the time.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Nope, no chip. Truck set in the garage for two days while it was raining. Strangest crack I've ever seen. Almost ruler straight
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:24 PM
CF Active Member

Take it to the dealer. When I purchased my tahoe a guy had bought one the day before and had the same exact problem. So you might luck out and they might warranty it.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
CF Senior Member

I have seen windshields that had windshield moulding trim screws touching them and break from that. Maybe something like that could of occurred. I think checking with your dealer would be a good idea.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 4:08 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealers are instructed to replace windshields so long as no sign of a chip can be found and the break started at the glass edge.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 5:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is a chip and cant get it fixed under warranty, some states require front windshield replacement with no insurance deductible.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 6:23 PM
davemec

I had to have my windshield replaced before I took delivery and I know they had a problem trying to swap the rainsense module from the old windshield to the new. They ended up having to order another new windshield with the complete assembly. They told me that the rainsense can't be swapped. Not sure if this is truely the case, but just wanted to let you know so maybe you can give them a heads up.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 6:46 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They either broke the bracket or ordered the wrong windshield to begin with.
The rain sensor bracket is not serviced separately. The windshield will need to be replaced if the rain sensor bracket is loose or has been damaged.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

Went by the dealer today and was assured that I wasn't crazy. Looks to be a stress crack that will be replaced under warranty. Would have cost $255 if it wasn't covered. Sure is awfully strange that shortly after I lowered the truck it cracks.

Quick Reply: Windshield Problem?!?!?