Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Wiper Blades Span of Movement Hitting Car

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Blades Span of Movement Hitting Car

I have an '07 Tahoe. Last winter (April) we got 10 inches of snow dumped on us here in Denver. As I drove me vehicle that morning, I was nearing a stop sign, the 10 shelf of snow on my roof slid forward as I braked. The weight of the snow put my wipers (both) down off the glass and onto the plastic piece that runs across the window and the bottom. So I removed the whole blade (passenger side) and repositioned it in the "correct" start/end position when they're turned off. However, the driver side wiper hits the bottom plastic piece and then on the way up hits the side of the molding on the edge of the window. Basically the distance traveled by the wiper/s is too much now.

I was wondering if there was a way to adjust how far the wipers travel on the windshield. I'm basically about 1-2 inches long in the their distance (where they stop on the way up and where the stop on the way down). Sorry for the novel here, but I hope I explained my problem clearly?

Thanks.
Old October 10th, 2009, 6:04 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Did you slip the psgr side on the shaft?

I'll try to look it up in the service manual this weekend.
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

OK, it looks like they no longer use a splined shaft and just rely on the nut maintaining the proper alignment. So just remove the finish cap and loosen the nut. Align the blade with the mark on the W/S and tighten nut to 26 ft-lb. Suggest doing this on both sides.