Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Wiring help needed Nav to RSE

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring help needed Nav to RSE

I own a 2007 Tahoe. Recently I have purchased a factory navigation unit (PN 25846421) and a factory rear seat flip down screen. My intention is to install all of this myself, but as my Tahoe did not have either of these units from the factory I am missing the wires that run from the back of the Navigation unit to the rear screen.

I've searched the internet for countless hours, but can not find the information I need. Hopefully someone can help me sort out what I need to do to hook the two units together.

Thanks.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 7:55 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Wiring help needed Nav to RSE

get the connectors and wiring harnesses for the over head screen, infared module, and any radio connectors that you may be missing and we can go from there. This isn't going to be easy........
Old November 23rd, 2008, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Shawn for helping me out.

You bring up something that I thought I had researched and had the answer to, but now I'm in doubt. I've read about the IR module, I called my local GM dealer and explained what I was going to do. I had read somewhere elsethat if I have back seat audio controls (which I do) these will work with the wireless head sets, so I hoped I was good with the IR. They informed me that this was incorrect, but the rear seat screen I purchased had the IR module built in. It looks like you are saying that I will still need to add the module to make this all work.

So far I have the Nav system and the VSS and Onstar connectors, they couldn't give me the terminalsunless I bring an example of each in to match up to. The monitor will arrive next week, then I can bring it into my dealer and get the other side of the connector needed for hooking it up. If I do indeed need to pick up an IR module then I expect it will take a little time to arrive. After this, it sounds like I am ready to go.

I have installed a few dozen stereos in my time, and I have a back ground in electronics (which I haven't used for a LONG time). I hope that will help make this a little less painfully, I am a littleintimidated to rip into my Tahoe.

Thanks a bunch.

Old November 23rd, 2008, 6:41 PM
Banned

You're IR Module thats in the overhead should be suffice.
While you're waiting on the parts to arrive, see about getting a spool of shielded speaker wire. unless you want to spend a bunch on RCA's.
Also....when you get the connectors, see if the dealership will solder the pins to the wires and insert all the pins....this will save a lot of headache later. Pull your radio out to make sure you have 4 connectors back there...you may need to order an additional connector for the radio.

Last thing but most important......Does the truck currently have BOSE?
Old November 23rd, 2008, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

Am I better off (less hastle) to use RCA cables? If so then I will go that way, if it's no advantage then I will go with the shielded speaker wire.

I'm not hopeful my local Chevy dealer is going to do too much to help, this is based on the reaction I received when I tried to purchase the terminal pins (they told me if I wanted pins for the connectors I purchased from them I will need to cut an example out of the other stereo connectors and bring it in) . I will try the GMC guys across town, they may be more willing to help out and make some $ on the way.

It is a Bose system, is this good or bad?
Old November 24th, 2008, 3:16 PM
Banned

it is good. Without it you'd have a huge headache.
You can use RCA cables if you'd like. it'll just cost more

As for the pins, tell the guy to look on Service information (SI) for the part numbers
Old November 24th, 2008, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

I have just bought a nav unit, qustion is i have the Gen 5 lock pick do i need to get the vss harness and do i have to wire into the onstar? or does the gen 5 have it intergrated in it. This is on a 07 avalanche with bose?
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

The video screen arrived today, so here is where I am.

I have the Navigation head unit (PN 15940102 which is different then I wrote before, but my research suggests it's the same thing).
Navigation antenna.
I have thevideo screen, here is what it looks like from the connection side.

I have ordered the 4th connector for the head unit, I think this is for the VSS wire connection for the navigation.
I have ordered the connector needed to hook the OnStar module to the head unit.

Ineed to identify the connectors on the back of the video screen for the actual video signals and the IR module. The 3rd connection on the video unit looks to be the dome lights, this is already an existing connector that is in my Tahoe.

I will take the video unit to my local dealer so they can order the two connectors I'm missing. Then it seems like I'm ready to get into the installation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the IR module on the video unit and the video input connections will both run between the head unit and the appropriate connection on the video unit. I guess this is where the pain will start.

If any of this is incorrect please let me know.

Thanks,
Ron
Old November 26th, 2008, 5:40 PM
CF Active Member

The IR module (transmiter) gets its audio and power from the center console amp (if you have a center console). I have not seen a tahoe with a amp if it did not have center console (tahoe's with front bench seats).
Old November 26th, 2008, 7:02 PM
Banned

Connectors are useless without the pins in them. Make sure you get that done as well

Quick Reply: Wiring help needed Nav to RSE