Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Won't start - replacing ECM in 1997 suburban 5.7 vortec

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2016, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Won't start - replacing ECM in 1997 suburban 5.7 vortec

I have been having assorted electrical problems, starting problems, misfire problems, etcetera and they are all kind of sporadic or random. Most happen after it has been running and is hot. Includes radio, wipers, dome light, door locks, window lock.
Have a recurring Service Engine light that gives me a Cam/Crank position sensor error. I think it may be tied to bad ECM since I replaced both sensors.Lately it has been just dieing on me and doesn't always restart immediately but always restarts eventually. Service light has been on for months but just started having the stalling/won't start issues the past couple weeks.

I purchased a remanufactured Engine Control Module which supposedly was already reprogrammed but when I put it in it turns over but won't start. Any insights are appreciated. Frustrated.
Old October 11th, 2016, 1:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you give them the vin number to flash it to?

Last edited by kevinkpk; October 11th, 2016 at 1:20 PM. Reason: caps locked
Old October 11th, 2016, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Hi. I have a 96 surburban. I once was on a road trip and the engine died. I checked the codes and it said crankcase position sensor. What it turned out to be was the rotor on the distributor was loose and it ruined the distributor.. I checked it again a few years later and it was some loose again. It's an easy try. I suggest using locktite on those two screws.
Old October 14th, 2016, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Did you give them the vin number to flash it to?
No, i was a little suspicious of that but Rock Auto assured me that if it needed anything it would be labeled as such. I don't think there is any anti-theft on the '97.
Old October 14th, 2016, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gene Sibet
Hi. I have a 96 surburban. I once was on a road trip and the engine died. I checked the codes and it said crankcase position sensor. What it turned out to be was the rotor on the distributor was loose and it ruined the distributor.. I checked it again a few years later and it was some loose again. It's an easy try. I suggest using locktite on those two screws.
Good thought. We checked and one of the cap screws seems to be stripped as well as the distributor clamp down bolt was a little loose. Could be the starting and running problem. According to what i've read a bad ECM can also cause hard starting, misfires, cam sensor codes, and all my strange electrical problems. Sounds like i may have multiple issues. Will let you know.
Old October 17th, 2016, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Well, I tightened down the distributor as best as I can and Suburban continues to die randomly more often than ever then won't start. I can let it sit for an hour and it will start right up like nothing is wrong. Any more ideas?
Old October 17th, 2016, 1:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

when the fault is active, check for:
-dtc
-rpm signal with a scan tool
-spark with a spark tester
-fuel pressure