Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Worst Looking Spark Plugs - EVER!

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2014, 11:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst Looking Spark Plugs - EVER!

I have had an ever-so-slight miss at idle when the 'burb is warm and in drive. I started out by changing the air filter, cleaning out the throttle body (which was carbon-fouled pretty bad) and replaced the throttle body base seal for good measure...this was all done about 3 months ago. I also ran some fuel injector cleaner through the gas at that time.

My truck odometer reads around 205K. The engine was replaced with a used one about 80K miles ago, and it had about 80K on the engine...at least that's what the PO told me when I purchased it in October.

Fast forward to today. I found a good deal on some Platinum AC Delco plugs at O'Reilly's (about $4/ea). The weather was good, so I knocked out the spark plug change. The suckers were on real tight... I had to use a breaker bar to break the torque on them. I started on no. 8 and worked my forward then went to the others side and started on no. 7 and worked my forward.

I found it odd that the gap is so large, set at .060.

Here are the pics of the plugs that I took just after removal. In order from 8,6,4,2 I'll add 7,5,3,1 in a second post.

At first, I feared I might have a small head gasket leak...but I think these plugs may have been original factory and were just that bad. I'll check the burn on one or two of them in a few weeks to see if I still have that white buildup on the plug...hopefully not, as I feel that may be a head gasket leak or cracked block/head causing antifreeze to leak into the cylinder...which would explain a slight miss.

After I changed the plugs, the miss is still there, and at times a little more pronounced than before. What I find odd is that the tach sits solid at 600 RPM. Even though it feels like the RPM may have dropped, the tach shows it solid.
Attached Thumbnails Worst Looking Spark Plugs - EVER!-cyl-8.jpg   Worst Looking Spark Plugs - EVER!-cyl-6.jpg   Worst Looking Spark Plugs - EVER!-cyl-4.jpg   Worst Looking Spark Plugs - EVER!-cyl-2.jpg  
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:17 PM
CF Junior Member

As promised:
Attached Thumbnails Worst Looking Spark Plugs - EVER!-cyl-7.jpg   Worst Looking Spark Plugs - EVER!-cyl-5.jpg   Worst Looking Spark Plugs - EVER!-cyl-3.jpg   Worst Looking Spark Plugs - EVER!-cyl-1.jpg  
Old February 3rd, 2014, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

i just installed new plugs on the 95 5.7 I just bought. 6 plugs were at .056, one was at .045, and one was at 0.69. Fixed that miss...
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Scrufdog
i just installed new plugs on the 95 5.7 I just bought. 6 plugs were at .056, one was at .045, and one was at 0.69. Fixed that miss...
I gapped all the new plugs to 0.60 and still have the miss.