Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

wrong size 2003 Tahoe tires help.

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2013, 6:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrong size 2003 Tahoe tires help.

I have a 2003 Tahoe with Tire size 265/75/16 and the door sticker reads 265/70/16. I think this means the tires are taller than stock. I know that some people put bigger tires on there trucks. But this seems like you would loose torque, the engine would have to work harder to go the same speed, and work harder up hills, and towing. I wonder if having the taller tires does any damage to the drive train? I would like to put the stock size on the tahoe. I am guessing the 265/70/16 tires will fit on the current rims. They are not stock, they are a brand called Incubus. (Incubus 501 Poltergeist 8). But they have 265/75/16 on them now.

Thanks Kelly

Last edited by kellyh; November 18th, 2013 at 7:02 PM.
Old November 19th, 2013, 2:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings Kelly welcome to the Forum.

You're right on all counts of a larger tire effecting those issues. But, having larger tires don't damage drivetrains. Probably the only thing that should be closely considered is the Speedometer difference that causes. You're going faster than the reading.

If you'd like to know exactly what that difference the 75's are making, go to this link, enter the sizes and it will calculate that error for you.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

As far as how the stock size will "fit" your existing Rims...
I looked up the Incubus line, and wasn't able to find the one you mentioned. I'm just guessing that those rims are 8"x16" ?

IF that is correct, both the 70 and 75 profiles in 265 are appropriate for it.

Now, beyond the "fit", satisfaction with a given Tire usually comes down to the type of tire, and it's use. If you'd like to discuss that, I'd be glad to hear what type driving conditions you would choose to encounter, and can help you select a Tread Pattern which is most appropriate for that.
Old November 19th, 2013, 7:43 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Kellyh,

I can certainly research your VIN and let you know which tires should be from stock. Please private message me the last 8 digits of your VIN so I can verify.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 21st, 2013, 10:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the replies.

I would like a comfortable quiet tire as we use this mostly for trips. However in the winters we get a lot of snow and ice. So I want to make sure they have good snow and ice traction. I have BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A. It also says Baja champion. I don't like them much except for the snow and ice. They are very good in the snow and ice. I don't like them for long trips. They don't track well and are more noisy then I like. I think one tire is bad. When it is on the front it bounces above 60mh. when it is on the back I feel only a very slight bounce above 60mh.

I also need new lug nuts. The chrome is coming off making it hard to get the socket on and off them. I think they are gorilla brand nuts. I'm not sure what size they are. They are the long ones. I would rather use the short ones. I'm not sure if the short ones will fit in the incubus wheels. That is the socket fit into the nut holes. I'll have to get a short one and try. Some web sites list the car make model and then give different size nuts. As in thread size.

I also went to the incubus web site and it seems they no longer carry the 16 inch in that wheel.

Thanks Kellyh
Old November 21st, 2013, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Kelly,

Is this the Tire you're using now ?
Baja T/A | BFGoodrich Tires

If not, then check around the Goodrich Site, and post a link to the one you have on your ride now. It will be helpful to see exactly what Tread Pattern you have, and we can adjust that from there.

While I'm waiting on your reply...
It's fairly difficult to get a Tread that does all things well. Yes, they call them "All Season/Terrain", but that always means that they are compromising on one or several features.

Anytime that you have lugs/cleats on a tire (which are good for Mud/Snow) they make noise, and aren't as high mileage.
If you choose a Pattern which is flat and contiguous, it's great for Hi-Way, much better Life and quiet.

From what you've said, it sounds like you'd rather have a Pattern which isn't so "luggy" and more adapt for street/hi-way use. That right ?

On that one (bad) Tire, when you change to new ones, that should go away but...
Be sure to check if you may have a bent Rim.

All tires need a break-in period...

From the time they are installed, then for 400-500 miles, you should run a higher pressure in them. A general recommended setting would be within 10% of the Maximum Cold inflation Pressure, as stamped on the Sidewalls of the Tires. So, if you saw 44 psi stamped on the Tire as the Max Cold Pressure, then, 40-42 psi would be good for the break-in period, AND BEYOND as a proper pressure for year round use.

You'll get much better performance and mileage out of your tires, when aired up in this higher range...
Using this higher pressure, also reduces the possibility of a Crosscut/Road Hazard damage. Remember, our Burbs and Hoes are "Trucks" not Cars, and quite heavy, and the extra pressure gives them better protection.

So, do some homework here for me, and get back where we can discuss this further.

Last edited by SWHouston; December 8th, 2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old November 21st, 2013, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

My wife got less than 16K mi out of a set of BF Goodrich tires running at 35psi and rotated three times.
Old November 21st, 2013, 1:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 73shark
My wife got less than 16K mi out of a set of BF Goodrich tires running at 35psi and rotated three times.
Yea, that can happen...
But I'm uncertain that I'd blame it directly on Goodrich, or imply that they don't have good Tires.

That's astoundingly low mileage for any set of tires. And, I'd be looking for some extraneous reason, that would have influenced that. There's a lot of Dealers who buy quantities, don't sell them all, and they set there and get Dry Rotted (not that it's all that obvious) when they've never been on the ground.

Also, few people know, that Tires are NOT totally cured when they're new. That Break In Period finalizes that curing. The heat/friction from driving on them is what finalizes that. IF that's not done in a reasonable length of time from their Manufacturing date, that can seriously effect the performance/life of a Tire.

Either may have been what happed to you ?

PS:
In either case, the lack of a complete curing process doesn't allow the Shore Hardness of the Rubber to set. This makes for softer Rubber, thus it wears more quickly.

Last edited by SWHouston; November 23rd, 2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old November 27th, 2013, 7:48 PM
CF Junior Member

All-Terrain T/A KO | BFGoodrich Tires

This is what I have (above link). I was looking at the Bridgestone Dueler HT or HL. or maybe a General Grabber STX or HTS. GoodYear wrangler trailmark.

Thanks Kelly
Old November 27th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Those T/A KO's are basically an Off the Road tire, with rather high Shore Hardness (extended mileage). Do ok in Snow, but not so well for Ice or the quietness you mentioned. Both the Bridgestone HT and HL have emphasis on a quiet ride, with reasonable Ice capability. The same applies to the Generals you mentioned. Neither are exceptionally well qualified to deal with Snow, but, you'll have the quiet Ride and Ice ability. If you want to add Snow, you must give up Quiet, because of the Cleats.
Old December 8th, 2013, 8:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok, I went with the General grabber STX. It is made for walmart. They Seem to have almost as much traction as the BF all terain. These are the correct size for the car, which are smaller in height than the BF's. The BF's were the wrong size. So this might account for the occasional slipping when starting from a dead stop in the snow and ice while in 2 wheel drive. However in 4wheel drive I don't have any slipping in the snow or ice. With the correct size the tahoe seems to climb the hills better. I'm talking about on the highway. There are some steep hills on the highway around here. They are much more quitter and more comfortable. Thanks for all the input.

Kelly

Quick Reply: wrong size 2003 Tahoe tires help.