Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

yukon stuck in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2006, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yukon stuck in 4wd

hi all, i am trying to get a 98 yukon running again after changing the torque converter. well, it is stuck in 4lo for some reason. i can hear the t-case shifter trying to work when i push the other selection buttons, but it wont seem to shift for some reason. anyone ever experience this? thanks a bunch.

Old July 7th, 2006, 11:44 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: yukon stuck in 4wd

well first off, you got it in neutral as ur rolling at about 3-5mph when u push the 2hi? .. was this problem there before u did the stall convertor?? if not then you might have an open terminal or something in the connector at the encoder, or you could have pinched some wires..
Old July 8th, 2006, 4:57 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for the reply. im not sure if the problem was there before or not, but i would think that it wasnt there until now. i will have to check all of my connections again. i would assume they they are fine, as i can hear the t-case shifter "trying" to do it. but, i was always sitting still when trying. i will also try to do it while slowly rolling along and see if that does anything. one wierd thing that it just did though was i shut it off while in 4hi, and then turned the key to accessory, and clicked the 2hi button. that time the 2hi light stayed on, but when i put it into gear it was definately in 4lo. im really baffled by this one. i have checked the fuse and it is good. also, one more thing.... when i turn the key on, should i hear the t-case motor attempthing to shift every time? it is trying to, but i didnt think that was normal. also, what plug is the encoder? sorry for the long response, but i really appreciate your help. thanks again.
Old July 8th, 2006, 11:27 PM
CF Active Member

ok, there are two connectors at the transfer case encoder motor, one connector has 2 big wires one is red and one is black, those are the encoder motor control a and b.. the other connector has 6 wires, and it should most likely be at the top if i remember correctly, I would check the light green wire with the black strip at the 6 way connector for an 8 volt battery reference and the black wire with the white strip for a good ground, when you doing ground check with a test light if you could cause even if you have high resistance due to an almost cut through wire it will show 12 volts on the multi meter.. I had one of these, same problem and i found a badly corroded wire under the hood right under the brake booster or a little towards the engine under the booster. and I'm pretty sure it was the light green 8 volt reference wire..