Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

07 5.3 Suburban. I have had an issue on filling up the fuel NO Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2016, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 5.3 Suburban. I have had an issue on filling up the fuel NO Check engine light

have a 2007 5.3 liter 1500 LTZ Suburban. I have had an issue on filling up the fuel tank for thw past 2 weeks. I have recently replaced the fuel vent solenoid and cleaned out the carbon filter canister under the vehicle. The problem persists as it doesn't matter what rate of fuel is being pumped into the vehicle, only about 1-2 gallons before it will trigger the shut off of the handle on the pump. Even trying to fill slower than the first click on the handle it will backflow up the fill tube and shut off the pump. I'm clueless as to what else could cause this problem. What makes me confused is that i dont have a check engine light on. May have said I need to replace the fuel tank filler. running out of options and any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 7th, 2017, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue on my 2010 following this thread
Old January 7th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you have done some good things. the tank vents through a hose to the evap canister out the vent valve and out through a fresh air filter. that entire route must be able to pass air.

disconnect the hose from the tank to the canister...make sure its clear. try a filling event with that hose disconnected. if the same problem occurs, the problem is anywhere from that hose back to the tank. if the problem is gone, the problem is from the canister out to the fresh air filter.

how do you clean a canister? I have never seen it done successfully. blow through the canister and make sure air can pass through the canister easily.

Another possibility is the fuel filler neck. some tanks have a check ball at the tank inlet.

Last edited by tech2; January 7th, 2017 at 10:08 AM.