Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

09 Tahoe remote start

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2012, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Tahoe remote start

Hello everyone,
I am hoping someone can pass off some I formtion to me here. I have a 2009 Chevy Tahoe LS and I would like to add a remote start. I have 4 kids so I am on a budget and going to the dealer ship would set me back $350. I have been reading that it is possible to buy fobs off of websites and you can program them yourself. My Tahoe does have the A8P code that I have seen is required. I guess what I am looking for is, where does one go to purchase said remotes? is it possible to enable the remote start with my Tahoe? can I do it all myself?

any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 3:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I don't know what you've read but AP8 is just the remote start prep. A dealership visit is required to upgrade that to AP3 (involves more than just the key fob programming). If you had AP3, yes, it'd be a matter of getting key fobs from any of the online or eBay vendors and then programming your vehicle to recognize them.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 6:55 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Actually as hard as this is to believe, $350 isn't a bad price all things considered if it includes the two fobs.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses. I am glad to hear $350 isn't that bad of a price but unfortunately it is out of my range, so I am forced to look to alternatives. So I guess the question now is, Is it possible to buy fobs and have them programed without the dealership? If not what is required for the remote start (AP3 or AP8)? I am confused as to what is needed I guess. Has anyone had success doing what I am trying to do? Thanks for all your help.
Old April 24th, 2012, 8:37 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

You can get an aftermarket remote start installed but probably won't be much, if any, cheaper and the have to use one of your keys.
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aftermarket will be more expensive. You must go to the dealer for programming. When you buy the key fobs it will come with a VCI code). It is a one time use code that must be entered when the programming is done . You can get the basic fob kit from Gm parts direct should be around 120-170, then get it programmed at dealer. It should be around 1 hour labor 120 or so. On the inside of the glove box door is a list of RPO codes if you have AP8 then you have the remote start prep package and above pertains to you. If you have AP3 then you already have remote start. If you have neither then you need to go after market.