Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

1995 tahoe

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2010, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1995 tahoe

guys i'm wondering if any knows what would make my '95 tahoe with 166k miles just start having extended start ups and rough idling, when i turn it off and come right back to it will start up great but after it gets going good it idles rough once again. no check engine light is on, but it was on a while ago after my daugther used my truck and she let run out of fuel and i think she was trying to start it without not knowing it was out of fuel, when the codes were checked it said i had some miss fires but at that point i did not know she had let it run out of gas

does anybody think this could have caused my problem?
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Professional Mechanic

Did the hard starts and rough idling start right after your daughter ran it without gas? Running on less than a 1/4 tank of gas in most cars causes the fuel pump to work harder, since it gets cooled by the gas flowing through it rather than the gas around and through it.

You may have ruined the fuel pump by trying to start it without any gas, as debris and air would've gotten into the pump and not be cooled at all. Has the pump ever been changed? You could start with the cheaper and easiest route, the fuel filter.

How long ago has it been since it was ran without gas? If the tank is dirty, debris can enter the fuel injectors and ruin those. Also the engine can get dirt into it, and that is baaaaad.

Here's a quick way to test if the fuel pump is bad. Start the car and let it run for about 5 minutes, do this with a little bit of gas in the tank to put added stress on the pump and to make it easier to access the pump. Then remove the gas tank and access the fuel pump. If it's hot then the pump is overheating and needs to be changed.

Any other input? Could be a number of things but this makes more sense since it happened after running out of gas.
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Professional Mechanic

And welcome to the forum!
Old July 10th, 2010, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

My 95 suburban idles right at 500 normally but latley it's hit 700 rpm and has Avery bad skip or miss to it I've replaced plugs wires cap button idle control valve map sensor and fuel filter to no avail Any ideas
Old July 10th, 2010, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default 95 suburban idling rough

95 suburban idles rough enough to kill it when idled but driving is fine till you idle gave new tune up plugs wires cap and button idle control valve map sensor and fuel filter Please any help is appreciated
Old July 10th, 2010, 9:42 PM
Administrator

Received 165 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked the fuel pressure?
Old July 14th, 2010, 8:56 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I seconded checking the fuel pressure and having the injectors serviced may also help, try running a couple of bottles (at the same time) of Techron thru the tank and see if you get any improvement...