Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2001 Grille Guard Issue

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2017, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Grille Guard Issue

The Backstory:
Recently I purchased a used Westin Grille Guard (fairly certain its the sportsman) without mounting brackets off of craigslist for $50. I was planning on putting it on my 2001 Suburban 1500.
The post had said that it had come off of a late-model chevy and would fit a 2000-up chevy. After holding it up to my suburban and making sure that it was the right size, i purchased it thinking that i could just purchase some replacement brackets and I would be good to go.

The Problem:
After getting the grille guard home I started shopping around the internet looking for replacement brackets. The problem is that the brackets that are supposed to fit my suburban are made for a grille guard with mounts that come straight off of the pillar. My grille guard has mounts that come off of the pillar a couple of inches and make a 90-degree angle inwards. After doing even more looking I still cant find a single version of this grille guard that has the same mounting set up.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Im comfortable with fabricating my own (probably will anyways) if it comes to that but i dont even have a bracket design to base my own off of. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails 2001 Grille Guard Issue-00m0m_fdzlkw3f39u_1200x900.jpg  
Attached Images      
Old April 4th, 2017, 9:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My guess would be the mounting brackets are also "L" shaped, with the long tab of the "L" bolted to the frame using the two tow hook bolts, and then the 90° tabs would mate up to the grille guard.

I had a grille guard on my '01 1500 Burb, and the main reason I used it was because it allowed me to keep my tow hooks.