Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2002 Tahoe AC compressor not cycling

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2019, 11:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Tahoe AC compressor not cycling

I bought this Tahoe new in 2002 and have never had any problem with AC. It has 183,000 miles. It blows really cold air even on 90 degree days. Compressor does not cycle even on 75 degree day. Have noted a fuel mileage drop of about 2 mpg. This Tahoe is a LT with front and rear air that is automatic computer controlled. The rear controls are turned off. Had Freon checked and it is just right. When the AC switch is off, compressor clutch releases. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what was the fix?
Old July 11th, 2019, 12:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlesL
I bought this Tahoe new in 2002 and have never had any problem with AC. It has 183,000 miles. It blows really cold air even on 90 degree days. Compressor does not cycle even on 75 degree day. Have noted a fuel mileage drop of about 2 mpg. This Tahoe is a LT with front and rear air that is automatic computer controlled. The rear controls are turned off. Had Freon checked and it is just right. When the AC switch is off, compressor clutch releases. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what was the fix?
The most likely factor that would cause this is a defect in the low or high side A/C pressure sensors. Could be an issue with the thermister on the front of the vehicle. My 98 K-1500 has no ambient air temp sensor so it's not an issue on older Chevrolet vehicles.
Old July 11th, 2019, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to hear from someone with a Tahoe like mine with the computer hvac control module, but thanks for your response!
Old July 12th, 2019, 8:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlesL
I need to hear from someone with a Tahoe like mine with the computer hvac control module, but thanks for your response!
Understood. However auto A/C system area specialty to me. I have installed A/C in vehicles without A/C. My 98 K-1500 has a control module, but not a newer one like yours, which is indeed not the same as mine.