Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2009 Tahoe Brake Switch removal

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2015, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Tahoe Brake Switch removal

Hi, I'm new to Chevrolet Forum and hope I'm not in the wrong place to post my question. I'm trying to replace brake switch on wife's 2009 Tahoe and can't get past that darned pesty clip-retainer. I've read on other sites where it's quick and easy... just insert a screw driver and twist and then push up.... so forth and so on! Can anyone explain how they've done it, in terms learned from experience. I was under the dash a good while trying to remove the switch to no avail. I would tremendously appreciate any help anyone could provide regarding the removal of the brake switch.
Old December 4th, 2015, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

just have to pry the tab high enough to clear the rod/dowel whatever you want to call it and slide it off
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks cleveland63...... I'm rested up and ready to try again! Your input is greatly appreciated!
Old December 5th, 2015, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Welllll, back to square one! Ribs are really aching... along with the knees from kneeling on concrete and ribs against floor trim... I'm not even having luck getting a screw driver in the tab....twisting it while trying to push upwards on tab. I've overhauled Chevy engines and fully restored a ' 55 210 Delray and two antique F..d tractors and have never been stumped like this! Woe is me!
Old December 6th, 2015, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Whew! I found a pic of the clip/retainer, along with instructions on just how to manipulate the clip for removal from pin on brake pedal lever. Got brake switch replaced and guess what... now shifter will not come out of park!!!! I reinstalled old switch and now it will shift out of park and of course I still have the dash readings, " Traction control off". Before swapping out switch I was getting "Traction control off" along with the occasional inability to shift out of park. I would simply turn ignition off...restart engine and then shift out of park... Anybody out there reading this that has ever have this same problem? I would sure appreciate your help.