Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Brake Fluid Leak Under Hood

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2011, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Leak Under Hood

I'm a new member with an 04 Suburban. I've noticed a brake fluid leak under my hood in the area where you add brake fluid on the drivers side. Previously, my mechanic said no big deal, was just a loose nut, and they tightened. Well, now I'm seeing more fluid leaking, including a tiny puddle on the driveway. Where can I find a free online service manual so I can figure out what's going on? I'm big on saving money by DIY whenever possible. Thanks.
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No free online service manuals. You will have to run your hand under the master cylinder and brake booster and brake lines to see where your leak is. This is a serious issue because no fluid equals no brakes PLUS brake fluid is flammable so if it hits the exhaust manifold the car may set on fire.
Old March 6th, 2011, 4:20 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

May check this guy out to see if he has one on DVD.
Old March 6th, 2011, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

73shark:

I'm leaning toward power steering fluid (maybe from power steering sensor?) because leak doesn't seem to be coming from Master Cylinder. It's lower down than that. I can't pinpoint source of leak, but most fluid seems to be on the corrugated tubes with wires inside, and problem is reminding me of small leak I had in my Jeep this past summer--turned out I needed to replace power steering sensor.