Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Bypassing Factory amp on 2002 suburban

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2017, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypassing Factory amp on 2002 suburban

Hi ALL -

I just became the owner of a 2002 Suburban. I went ahead and installed a new head unit and two front speakers for now since the stock speakers were completely shot. I will probably update all of them eventually..

Anyway. I did the install of the head unit and speakers and it sounds pretty bad - Its all treble and almost no bass - so my research has lead me to believe this is due to the crossover that is part of the stock Amp. I found a few threads and videos on how to bypass the amp - But what I wanted to know was can I bypass the Amp, use the amp from my head unit and the factory speaker wiring? Id really hate to have to rewire speakers and not really interetsed in buying a new Amp. My head unit says it has 22watt amp built in and that looks to be the bare minimum needed to power the speakers i bought..

Im pretty much a novice when it comes to car audio... so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!