Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Do I Need New Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2017, 6:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I Need New Rotors?

This might sound silly, but I have to ask...

I'm getting ready to do the brakes on my 2002 Suburban 1500 4x4. I have 200,000 miles on it and the brakes have never been done. I know that sounds unbelievable, but until now, they have not needed it. My question is about replacing the rotors. It seems natural to replace the rotors after such a long time, but thought I'd ask the question anyway. Should I expect to have to replace them?

I just did my wife's car and did both pads and rotors. I bought all up front, but as I was doing that job, the rotors didn't look bad to me. I don't have a caliper or whatever measuring tool that I would need to measure the run-out, so I just replaced them. Her car had about 150,000 mikes and she is hard on brakes.

I figure that I will buy the rotors as well. Can one visually tell if the rotors are worn down from normal use? Is it worth it to measure them?

Thanks.
Old June 6th, 2017, 8:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if the surface of the rotors are rusted, grooved, have a large lip on the outer edge where the pad doesn't touch or any shimmey in the steering is present during high speed braking replace them.

you have 0.060" of metal from a new rotor to discard. your probably past the minimum allowable...get new rotors.
Old June 14th, 2017, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with tech2, after 200,000 miles I would replace the rotors no matter what they look like, but they are bound to have some uneven wear or grooving. Can't complain about the original ones lasting that long!