Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Lifter? Or camshaft? Or both???

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2017, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
It does sound like a lifter, however as you increase the rpm, I don't hear the noise follow it.
You don’t hear the noise follow it because I never increased the RPM during the video The noise does definitely speed up with RPMs though.
Old January 11th, 2018, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

It sounds like my 7.4. I cant tell which lifter it is??? I did the Marvel Mystery Oil trick. 2 Qts of MMO with 5 Qts oil and ran it for a couple hundred miles and changed the oil. The noise decreased by around 70%. I didn't see much gunk come out of the after change. It still does it when its been parked for a few days without driving it or it gets cold but when it warms up it almost goes away but I still hear it tho.
My worse case scenario is that I have to replace my cam and lifters. Aghhhhh
Old June 22nd, 2018, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default About the lifters

Take the value cover off and check your rockers with someone cranking the engine if the arms aren't moving it's definitely a lifter. Or if you can stop the arm from moving with a hammer handle pressed against the rocker arm. And it's always a good thing to check your bearings down below if cam lobe dammage is excessive. I've seen damage in mains and oil pump because of lifters in the dod ls