Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Looking at buying '05 'Burban. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2017, 4:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Looking at buying '05 'Burban. What to look for?

I previously owned a '01 Silverado that was from California so I'm somewhat familiar with GM trucks. Sold it in 2014 and been regretting it since. Looking for a '04-'05 'Burban and found one exactly like I'm looking for but it has 4X4. Never owning one before, How would I test to make sure it worked as it should? Owner also claims the DIC no longer illuminates so the mileage he listed is what it was when it went out. And the fuel gauge doesn't work but I already know thats the sending unit gone bad like they all do. Other than the cluster issues, What all should I look for on these? Its an LT model and looks very clean in the pictures.
Thanks.
Old June 15th, 2017, 6:53 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Maintenance records are very important!
Old June 15th, 2017, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

I already know those are long gone. Current owner had a car lot and took this in. When he closed up, Kept this as his personal. Or so I'm being told.
Old June 15th, 2017, 7:19 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Fuel pump whine (sign of it dying - tank has to be dropped to replace it)
Power window regulators
A/C system
brakes
exhaust manifold leaks
Front wheel bearings/hubs

Those were the big-ticket items I've fixed on my '01 Burb.
Old June 15th, 2017, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

I've noticed, Some pumps whine and they're fine. I put a airtex on my silverado when the OEM died. At half tank you could hear the whine but it was fine. But I'll definitely listen for it.
Exhaust manifold bolts are known for breaking off at the head. I forgot about that until you mentioned it. My '01 had one on the left rear that was snapped in the manifold still. Didn't leak so I left it. How would I check the front bearings and hubs? Seems like a shop type deal. I don't think the guy wants me to pull the hubs apart in his driveway, Lol.
Old June 16th, 2017, 4:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My fuel pump whined for about six months before it died. The whine is the pump saying, "The end is near."

Bearings/hubs - I'd jack up the front end and spin the wheels, listening for grinding or any funny noises. Make sure it spins smoothly and quietly. Is there play in the bearing? Does the wheel move side to side?

Personally, every used vehicle I buy (three in the last three years, all over $20k), I have an independent mechanic give it a full once over. Costs $100, but it's good insurance. I also have them do the starter motor current/compression test.