Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2010, 9:56 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shark,
Visually it appears to be the exact same. I think the image appears different because of the smaller viewing area on the mirror. It almost appears not to have as wide of view, more narrow. However, maybe the mirror just makes it appear that way. I also think it doesnt appear as clear, not as good of picture but maybe that is also just because of the smaller viewing area of the mirror.
Old December 12th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

Can you still see an image at nite after you shift to drive and turn the lites off? My does. Not sure how unless it either is a lo lite camera or has an IR illuminator built in.
Old December 12th, 2010, 11:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not sure. I will have to check it out next time I am in it, but what the hell are you doing backing up with your lights off in the dark ?
Old December 15th, 2010, 3:12 PM
Administrator

I wasn't backing up as you have to take it out of reverse to turn off the backup lites and then turn off your lites to see if there is still an image. And there is.
Old December 20th, 2010, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Up Camera install problem

Hey guys, got an OEM back up camera for installing the RCD mirror. I have added factory nav to my 2007 LTZ and also have GM lockpik. After installing the camera and connecting the AV plug to my lockpick, I went to the dealer to get the unit reprogrammed to recognize backup cam.
2 dealers now in KC (Superior and CableDahmer KC) cant get it to work. This has cost me some cash because I take up their tech's time to get this done. Does anyone that knows these systems have any idea if something has changed? I got the Nav programmed fine a few years ago, and now they tell me the system doesnt recognize my NAV unit as a GM part? Any help or suggestions?
Old December 20th, 2010, 1:33 PM
Administrator

Did you try unplugging the camera to see if the nav worked then?
Old December 20th, 2010, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Shark - I assume you were replying to me? The NAV works fine - when the dealers go to re-flash it they say the system wont let them do it at all. I need to unplug the camera? from the Lockpick or what do you mean exactly?
Pretty sure the dealership has never done this type of install on the Tech tool before, which is very surprising. I have read on other forums that the Tech system won't allow this to be done now on cars where the VIN number doesnt show a factory NAV. I am at a loss what to tell them...wish i could get my hands on one of those GM tech tools to fiddle with it for a few hours!
Old December 20th, 2010, 5:49 PM
Administrator

I've seen on forums reports that you can get a Tech II on ebay.
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:37 PM
CF Beginner

ouch: tech 2 tool for $2k! Anybody else have any suggestions for what to tell the installers? this seems to be a problem that no one can solve. Crazy.
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biglg,
Did you get your camera to display on the nav screen? I have the rear camera with display in mirror and also will be installing a nav and would like the display moved from mirror to nav. I need to know the location and colors of video wires to splice into.
Thanks,

Update:

I went to my dealer and asked the Service Manager to give me the schematics on my inside mirror to find out which wires are for back-up cam.
Interestingly, they are also pins 6 and 7 in the mirror plug.

So, for an 09 Silverado or Sierra they are

Pin 6: Gray/Blu - Camera Video (+)
Pin 7: Gray/Orange - Camera Video (-)

These 2 wires are wrapped in black tape and are separate from the rest of the mirror harness. Now to extend them to reach the RCA on VSS harness and all should be good!

Last edited by fredrich03; March 16th, 2011 at 7:46 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)