Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Paint peeling off of 2012 Suburban and GM said not under warranty

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2014, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DataDon
Update: Took Suburban back to dealer in Florida where I purchased it and they repaired the paint - assured me that it was not anything but a manufacturing defect and told me the dealer in Illinois was rude to me and should apologize.
I have been spreading the word about how badly Gjovik Chevy in Sandwich, IL treated me. Hearing stories about the same treatment over and over again.
Apparently the service manager thinks women are dumb and you can tell them things. Glad I followed thru and got my husband involved. This is a small town surrounded by other small towns - word spreads quickly and more and more locals are traveling 25 miles to go elsewhere to buy vehicles.
Thanks everyone for your input.
That's great to hear! Really great to see that there are still real people out there who stand behind their product, are honest and trustworthy.
I might try the local dealer (by San Diego, CA) just to see his reaction. Hard to imagine they would fix the roof - as I didn't buy the van there and it's a 2005 model.
But your "happy ending" might be enough for me to check the local dealer here.

All the best
Old October 4th, 2015, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Guess why GM will never be Great again? No customer service. Paint peeled of my 2007 Express Van, GM says they arent doing anything about it while I see 9 out of 10 vans running around with same problem. Then my 07 Avalanche starts using oil, famous 5.3 with AFM. Again no help. Fixed it myself by disableing AFM and a couple of other tricks. Now I have the same dash cracking problem that thousands of other owners have on Suburbans, Tahoes, and Avalanches. GM, stand behind your product or you will never be Great again. Going bankrupt again one customer at a time. By the way, I fixed the peeling paint problem too, switched to Ford E-250. Oh yeah, just noticed today that paint is peeling on the 2011 Suburban, it is black. We are talking $100,000 worth of vehicles here. Might as well buy beaters for now on, Don't bail them out again!

Last edited by Kenrcpilot; October 4th, 2015 at 8:27 PM.
Old December 26th, 2016, 11:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Purchased a new 2012 Suburban off of the dealers lot this past February while we were in Florida. The trans on my 2007 Silverado truck started acting up so I traded it in on the Suburban. Suburban had 11 miles on it when we took it for a test drive and 29 miles on it by the time we signed the papers. This was not a cheap car. LOL
Drove it home to Illinois a month later - no issues. I now have about 5200 miles on it. It is garage kept here in IL.
Needed a new battery in May after only 2000 miles. Not sure why the old one died but whatever. My theory is that the dealer swapped out the one that came with the car and put in a used one. How do I prove that?

2 weeks ago I pulled it out of the garage to hand wash it. Used some bug and tar remover on back drivers side panel just behind the wheel well.
Paint just peeled off the plastic panel in a 3" diameter circle. I saved the pieces to show my Chevy dealer here in IL. I have purchased a number of vehicles from him since I moved to the area in 1979 so they know who I am.
Service advisor looks at the paint and said it was a repair job that was not done correctly. I insisted that the vehicle was brand new when I bought it and I didn't hit anything, etc. He called the shop manager over and they both said "we ran our hands over the paint and it has a ripple in it." What?!
They all but accused me of having a fender bender and having the fender repainted.

I was told it was not warranty work. But they would not put that in the computer and print it our for me. I called GM Care at least 15 times before they returned my call. No, they won't send out a rep to look at the peeling paint, they will go 100% by what the service adviser told them. This is bull****.

So gonna head to Florida next month to see the dealer who sold me the car and see if they will repair it at his expense - he indicated over the phone that they would take care of me. We'll see.

This is the last GM vehicle I will purchase after this fiasco. Ford, here I come.
One other thing: the dealer here in IL is known for avoiding warranty work at any cost. I thought he'd treat a loyal customer better than he did.
Gjovik Chevy in Sandwich, IL - avoid. Go elsewhere.
HA! Unless you saw that thing come off of carrier don't ever assume anything. I had a legal battle with Chrysler for 14 months on a $40,000 Jeep Overland that I'd found out had been wrecked with only 12 miles on it and put it back on the lot and sold as new. It took a lot of homework on my part and a good lawyer and a lot of news agencies but I did win. The car had been wrecked by the dealer. Don't always Point your finger at the manufacturer because most dealers are slime *****. After this it all happened I had a good buddy of mine who used to be a service manager and some of the stories he told me I was just like are you kidding me? He lost count of how many cars would get effed up on the weekends and they would run through the body shop and put back on the lot by Monday morning without the owner of the dealer ever even knowing it. It happens a lot more than you could ever care to imagine. Good luck
Old December 26th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the vehicle has been damaged in transit. Carrier damage happens all the time. I am not sure of the legality of disclosure for minor damage. be prepared to go past the sales manager to the dealer principle.

the battery probably has lot rot; common problem that damages batteries that have been sitting on dealers lot for a long time. The dealer should be charging the battery every 30 days.
Old December 27th, 2016, 7:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Default We took notice and came up with a solution...

Having been in the auto painting business for many years, seeing these GM vehicles, mostly vans, on the road every day just made me mad. I actually started counting how many I would see while driving around town and have seen up to 10 in a few hours! All vans with peeling hoods and roof lines. We've been told there was a recall years ago but most owners didn't know about it and since most of these vans are older and may have changed hands, no luck with the recall.
At Econo we put our heads together, talked to owners and came up with an affordable price to prep and paint these vans and still allow us to make a small profit. Win win. Check out our website by clicking the link in the signature to see if we have a location near you. $499 will get your van looking good for 2017!
Old February 24th, 2019, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default Paint peeling

Then he has a short memory. I've purchased 5 new vehicles from him. My son has purchased one used and one new one from him. My daughter in law has purchased 1 used from him. Our stable has his logo on our license plate holders except the Suburban. We won't be advertising for him any longer - all plate holders came off the other vehicles today. Leaving the one on from the Florida until I see how he's going to handle it.
Anyone have paint issues other than me. FYI: white paint.
i have a 2013 Roadtrek RV that is built on a Chevy express van, white in color. My paint started peeling.i took it to a Chevy dealer to show them the paint and was told like so many others that a rock caused the damage. Not possible where the damage occurred. The dealer called out the body shop people and the first thing out of his mouth was “ah, Chevy white, that happens to a lot of chevys.” Even his own truck had this damage. I think Chevy tells there dealers to say it is caused by rocks hitting the vehicles. Anyway they wouldn’t help and wouldn’t even respond to a negotiator that was from Chevy. We took it to a place to have the peel areas repainted. They painted the drivers side except the front door. When they went to take off the masking tape they had put on the door, it peeled off a whole section of paint. I don’t think masking tape should be able to peel off paint. They called us and since we discovered that some paint on the other side was starting to peel, we decided to have the whole vehicle repainted at a cost of $6,000. They took it all the way down to the metal since they weren’t comfortable even leaving the primer on because they warranty their paint job for the life of the vehicle (not like Chevy). I will never ever purchase a Chevy in my lifetime and will make sure no one that I know purchases one. I wish there was a class action suit against them, I would so join it. Oh and the body shop ended removing the paint they had already had done because they didn’t trust that the primer would not cause peeling down the road.

Last edited by uneakone; February 24th, 2019 at 9:58 AM.
Old February 24th, 2019, 1:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

You should have posted this in the van section. I have paint flaking issues on my 2013 too. It looks like it's a pretty common thing.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...ing-off-69815/

This is just abominable craftsmanship, GM. You deserve to fail. And probable more nasty things for treating customers the way you do.
The following users liked this post:
C6DNA (November 9th, 2019)
Old November 9th, 2019, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello,

We do apologize for the frustrations you have experienced. You are welcome to send us your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of preferred dealership through a private message; however, we cannot guarantee that cost assistance will be provided for repairs due to the age of the vehicle.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
I posted several years ago in another thread. I have a 2002 Chevrolet Express 3500 8.1L -- it only has 28K miles. This GM peeler has got so bad, I decided to have it repainted -- its in the shop right now. It's going to be expensive.

I won't accept apologies from GM because your company has done NOTHING in 18 years to resolve this poor workmanship. I also don't believe rock chips are the source of this paint peeling problem. I've had three reputable paint shops tell me it's your inferior paint. We had record rainfalls in 2011 and 2018 here in California and both times the paint started falling off in sheets -- emerging from the middle of the rear doors. How can rock chips be the root cause?

If it wasn't for the 8.1L engine coupled to the 4L85E transmission, I would have had this 3500 Express hauled off to a wrecking yard.

Last edited by C6DNA; November 9th, 2019 at 9:42 AM.
Old November 9th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Rock chips is such a lame excuse. There are thousands of cars out there in America, driving hundreds of miles on the highway every day, getting pelted by debris of all kinds. How come all of THOSE cars aren't peeling? Highways are the worst for cars. I frequently come home with new chips in my windshield.
The following users liked this post:
Jeanie Glass (April 4th, 2021)
Old February 4th, 2022, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Tahoe

Then he has a short memory. I've purchased 5 new vehicles from him. My son has purchased one used and one new one from him. My daughter in law has purchased 1 used from him. Our stable has his logo on our license plate holders except the Suburban. We won't be advertising for him any longer - all plate holders came off the other vehicles today. Leaving the one on from the Florida until I see how he's going to handle it.
Anyone have paint issues other than me. FYI: white paint.

Yes same problem on 07 white Tahoe. Peeling like it's part banana 🍌