Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Part 2 1999 Tahoe Mystery to me and others

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2017, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Part 2 1999 Tahoe Mystery to me and others

PART ONE.................. Ok here is where I start, I own a 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe, has a 5.7 liter 4x4 fully loaded no sun roof, has 130,000+ miles runs like a top and I enjoy driving it, when I purchased the Tahoe everything was in working condition and all the Tahoe needed was an O2 sensor and a new driver............ Well here is where my story begins, I took a trip from New York to Savannah< Ga. she run like a top and never skipped a beat, on the return trip, I stopped at a rest area and locked all the doors cracked the window and went to sleep for 4 hours. After awakening, I started the Tahoe and hit the road, everything seem normal, till I stopped for gas, I hit the unlock button for the doors and they would not unlock, used the remote unlock button, still would not unlock. I had to manually unlock the doors, after stepping out,the remote would not lock the doors nor would the door lock button on door, it would only make the interior and door lights go on and off. So I figure it must be a fuse or something???? So i leave it till I get home and continue my travels......... I further find that not only does what I mention above not work,but the power seats also don't work and when you open the door, the interior lights do not come on either.................. Totally at a loss of whats wrong??????? So after getting back home, I check the fuses inside of truck and under the hood, everything is all good and nothing is blown, so i look in the book what fuse, controls all of these things and I go to check it, to find it is one of those resetable fuses so I got to take it out and its pretty dam hot, so I go buy another one $16.00 figuring, this has to be the problem???? Well put the fuse in it arcs and starts to get hot and nothing is still working!!!!!!!! WFT So my mystery is, what happened in the 4 hours I went to sleep and everything was working and wake up and its not..... Anybody have any idea where to start looking? spent 200.00 already trying to diagnose the problem. Any helpwould be great. Thanks Dennis

Part 2 after checking the BCM which my 1999 does not have, replacing the door lock replay, the interior light replay and still the power door locks don't work and interior lights don't work, so I removed all door panels and check individually all door lock actuators are operating and functioning properly, something is causing a dead short somewhere, because when I put the circuit breaker fuse in it's place, it sparks and gets hot and nothing works, without the fuse in it, when you hit the lock button you here clicking under dash ( which I determined was the door lock relay and interior light relay) all that happens is the interior light will come on and doors won't lock STRANGE THING THAT DOES HAPPEN, IF HOLDING THE LOCK BUTTON DOWN, IT CAUSES THE REAR HATCH LOCK ACTUATOR TO ACTIVATE, NOT UNLOCKING OF LOCKING, JUST MOVES........ I recently found this part underdash (see picture) it has no part# does anyone know what it's for???? I'm about ready to give up and replace the whole dashboard and that don't look like fun.

this is under my dash anybody know what is does or is for?
Thanks for any help given.
Old March 29th, 2017, 11:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show that "mystery box" to some good alarm companies. Someone will probably recognize it as a poorly installed keyless entry and/or alarm system. I had something similar in my '97 Burb that did funny things to the interior and parking lights. Pulled the fuses from it and the problems vanished!