Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Rear indicators

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2012, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear indicators

I own a 1994 Suburban, that I'm working on to get roadlegal. The car was imported from America by previous owner, not sure when. To get the license plates back on it, I have had to do some work on it. The rear indicators still work as it did in America, the same bulb is used for brakelights, and indicator, and the light is red. Here in Norway, I need orange indicator lights. I have bought an extra set of indicator lights, to stick on the back end of the car. (yes, they look cheap) Only trouble is, I can't seem to figure out how to connect the new indicators and make them just blink when I indicate, and not light up when I apply the brakes, and make the original bulb work just as breaklights. Any suggestions would be much apprechiated!

Nicholas
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gees, if I understand your problem...

You're saying that you have to have separate Turn-signal/Indicators from your Brake Lights...
that right ?

If it is, you're going to have to totally reconfigure your Turn-signal Switch Assembly. I'd try to get a Diagram on the Wiring, literally separate the Turn-signal and Brake Switch Wiring out of the circuit, and wire it up like it was done in the old days. Completely individual circuits.
or...
You could buy a Aftermarket (clamp on) Turn signal Switch, run new wire and Lamps,
and just don't use the OEM Turn signals. You might even remove the original Leaver,
IF your Wipers and Cruse Control weren't involved.

Last edited by SWHouston; August 1st, 2012 at 1:17 PM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 5:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

The easiest way to do this is to add an extra switch on the brake pedal and use this for the brake lights only. Use your orange lights for the indicators and leave the original red ones for the brakes. Connect the original wire to the orange ones and disconnect them from the red brake lights. Run a wire from your add on brake switch to the old red brake lights. Not as tough to do as it sounds.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I can visualize that, and that would be cheaper than buying a Column Turnsignal.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 5:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I had a chat with my mate, who works at the garage, he told me to leave the original brakelight and indicators as it is, and connect the new ones to the indicators at the front of the car. I just need the orange indicators, to make it roadlegal, so when I leave it at the garage, I should just take out the bulb for the brakes and indicators, and leave the orange ones on. The brakelights have allready been checked, so the paperwork for that is OK. Then, when they see the orange ones working, all the paperwork should be good, and i just remove them again, and put the original bulb back in, and I'm ready to get the license plates. Helps to know someone in the business.. The police wont stop me for having red indicators, as it is original on the car, it's just to get the paperwork done properly, so I can order new licens plates.. silly norwegian rules.
Thanks alot for replys guys!