Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Replacement of Power liftgate module or motor on 2008 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2017, 3:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacement of Power liftgate module or motor on 2008 Suburban

My power liftgate froze shut without my knowledge and when trying to open the liftgate the motor that turns the gears pretty much stripped the internal workings of the motor. The motor still works but will not move the lift gate in either direction without some help. So, I purchased a whole new replacement lift gate module. And, I am getting set up to remove the interior trim covers to get access to remove the faulty liftgate module. My question is, if necessary, how do you go about programming the liftgate module to assure it works properly when opening and closing the lift gate? Or, is are replacement modules normally plug and play type that can just be plugged in to the appropriate connectors? Will the use of a scanner be necessary?
Old June 30th, 2017, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogi
My power liftgate froze shut without my knowledge and when trying to open the liftgate the motor that turns the gears pretty much stripped the internal workings of the motor. The motor still works but will not move the lift gate in either direction without some help. So, I purchased a whole new replacement lift gate module. And, I am getting set up to remove the interior trim covers to get access to remove the faulty liftgate module. My question is, if necessary, how do you go about programming the liftgate module to assure it works properly when opening and closing the lift gate? Or, is are replacement modules normally plug and play type that can just be plugged in to the appropriate connectors? Will the use of a scanner be necessary?
Funny ... just replaced mine 2 days ago. It was plug and play.
Old July 1st, 2017, 7:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Doug, I been waiting for a reply before I tear out all the interior covers to replace the module. According to the YouTube videos I looked at, a scan tool was necessary to program the replacement module. My part is OEM. But, it didn't come with any instructions and left me questioning the actual need to use a scan tool to make the liftgate module work properly. Appreciate your response. I had thought that most components that came as a complete assembly were plug and play.