Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Resetting Suburban 2011 frozen navigation system?

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2011, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resetting Suburban 2011 frozen navigation system?

Hello all,

I purchased a suburban 2 months ago. My navigation system has been frozen for a few days now. Whenever I hit the "dest" or "nav" button, things happen extremely slowly. The map does appear after a while and I can see where I'm at, but it's not possible to input an address anymore: buttons are either greyed out, or if they're not the system freezes when I press them. Same thing if I try to select a previous address or change the search zone.

I am able to use the other options (menu, audio, dvd, ...) but if I press any of these buttons after trying to access the nav system, it takes one or two minutes before anything responds.

What happened just before this began:
- I used the onStar mobile app to send a destination address to the car, from Virginia where I live to Ohio where I was travelling for Christmas. This worked fine (I used it plenty of times before while travelling within Virginia).
- Once in Ohio, I changed the navigation zone and was able to use the system a couple of times, although things starting acting up with the last search (very slow to start navigating)

It seems to me like it's a software issue, where the navigation system is thrown into a loop of some kind or dead ends somehow. I'd like to reset it to see if it clears the issue but I have no idea how to do that... Any suggestions?

Thanks!

- Jeff
Old December 29th, 2011, 9:42 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Might try pulling the fuse or just disconnect the battery for several minutes...
Old December 29th, 2011, 3:44 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Jeff Mach,

I am sorry to hear of your navigation issues. There are many possibilities why the system would run slow. The navigation disc may be scratched or warped. The satellites may be being repaired or updated. After-market glass tinting is also known to interfere with the system's ability to receive GPS signals, which could cause the system to malfunction.

To reset the system, please see your dealer.

I hope this information was helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service