Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Squealing belt when A/C turns on...

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squealing belt when A/C turns on...

I've definately pinpointed it to the A/C cause if I keep the a/c buttom off when I start the truck it will never do it. So its definately when the a/c clutch engages.

I am confident it will get resolved....I just have to find time to get in there. I actually used to work at this dealer and started the internet department about 10 years ago and still know the owners pretty well.....so hopefully that will help.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

AZSCTACO, I agree with you 100%! Mine has also done it a few times with a key start, but far more common w/ remote start. It has also shut the motor down on two occassions. The challenge with mine is it's so intermittent...sometimes it will go weeks with no problem. However, the chatter it made last weekend was so loud - my passenger was nervous about even riding in the truck!
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

you know I wonder since the AC compressor is now mounted down low if it isn't an issue with the compressor having to deal with moving liquid as opposed to gas thru the system (as ZX noted earlier in this post) that would seem the most logical explaination unless there is a series of defective compressors but surely that would have surfaced by now with the new body stlye being out for nearly 2 years...

I think I'd inquire about the moving liquid part with the dealer and mention that specifically, thats a lot of torque to stall an engine, that and the remote start functionmay have different parameters when starting to prevent damage.
Old May 29th, 2008, 8:25 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

in2pro: The same guy that deleted the air filter indicator.

I remember Dave mentioning that but wondered how the compressor can move liquid since it's not compressible. I know on most A/Cs that I've worked on, that's the last thing you want to do is allow liquid freon to get to the compressor (called slugging). Maybe since it's so low like you say, a little can migrate to it but not enuf to slug it.
Old July 18th, 2008, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

my tahoe does this too. dealer couldn't get it to happen. they tried 60 times. they want me to leave it overnight to see if it does it with first cold start. did you get it figured out at your dealer?? thanks!
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the Tahoe forum.
Old July 21st, 2008, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

I'm still suffering through this horrible clicking noise with my Suburban. I recently spoke with the Service Manager at the dealership. He said he's never heard of this issue before and suggested I leave it a few days. AZSCTACO, did you ever get yours fixed? I've definitely found it to be more common on very hot days, butit's still intermittent.

If anyone finds the fix, please share. Thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
CF Active Member

I did get it fixed. There is finally a bulletin that came out on 7/1 for it. i will post the number....just need to find the paperwork. the video i took helped

The fix is a ECU upgrade.......
Old July 22nd, 2008, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

That's great news! Please post the bulletin number when you have a quick minute so I can put this squeal behind me once and for all! Thanks to this Forum for a great resource of information.
Old July 28th, 2008, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

AZSCTACO, were you able to find your paperwork with the Bulletin information / ECU Upgrade? Please post when you find it. I was welcomed with that ever familiar squeal when I startedmy truckthis afternoon. Arrrgh, I can't stand that noise. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Squealing belt when A/C turns on...