Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2017, 7:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems

Last week after driving about 25 miles to work I stopped to put my suburban in reverse to back into my parking space and it would not move. The engine would rev but the vehicle would not move. I put it back into drive and the engine would rev but the vehicle was only crawl forwards. I turned the vehicle off and started it again and the transmission engaged just fine so it seemed.

I parked the car but when I started driving for lunch time I noticed that the engine was revving high and I could not reach speeds of over about 30 mph. As I drove the suburban slowed down even more. If I turn the vehicle off and started again the engine and transmission will engage but only for a few seconds until it seems to start slipping. I check the transmission fluid and the level was just fine

I know that the worst case scenario oh is that my transmission is shot but could this be a fuse problem or any other sort of electrical issue?
Old August 9th, 2017, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Davpmars
Last week after driving about 25 miles to work I stopped to put my suburban in reverse to back into my parking space and it would not move. The engine would rev but the vehicle would not move. I put it back into drive and the engine would rev but the vehicle was only crawl forwards. I turned the vehicle off and started it again and the transmission engaged just fine so it seemed.

I parked the car but when I started driving for lunch time I noticed that the engine was revving high and I could not reach speeds of over about 30 mph. As I drove the suburban slowed down even more. If I turn the vehicle off and started again the engine and transmission will engage but only for a few seconds until it seems to start slipping. I check the transmission fluid and the level was just fine

I know that the worst case scenario oh is that my transmission is shot but could this be a fuse problem or any other sort of electrical issue?
could be clogged transmission filter or shift solenoid or bad band in transmission I can't remember but could narrow it down if I new make model of vehicle could also be a vacum issue
​​​​
​​​​​
Old August 10th, 2017, 7:46 AM
CF Junior Member

It turns out it was a blown torque converter. Had to have it rebuilt. $3000