Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

02 Tracker AC compressor cross reference

Old June 13th, 2015, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Tracker AC compressor cross reference

Morning all.

Sorry for the "wordy" post. Just trying to be as specific as possible

So, the compressor's gone on my ac system and I need to go to the wreckers for a replacement.
I tried with a couple of dealerships to get a cross-reference for the part so I could go to the newest vehicle available and pull it.
Apparently, that unit was only built for the 02 and 03 models. I'm a little perplexed by that statement. I know the body and interior parts are specific to their models and years however, I would think the engine components are fairly universal throughout the years and a wide variety of models.
Before I go looking for a Tracker or Vitara of that vintage, I thought I'd ask if any one knew of a compressor from a newer vehicle that would somewhat easily fit. I know the listings say it's only those two years but I'm hoping it's because the pulley (or something else interchangeable) size is different.

A little history to the service performed to the ac thus far....
-Had a mechanic friend at a garage evac and top up the freon and it held the pressure nicely -no leaks but no ac
-Went to the manual and located the fuse under the hood and changed it -success!
-AC died within minutes. checked fuse and it was blown again
-Electric fan was seized. As there is also a belt driven fan (odd but convenient) I just disconnected the electric one. AC worked and no overheating!
-Two days later, drove down the highway for half an hour with nice cool air. Stopped at the store. Got back in and ac was dead again.
-Went back to my mechanic friend and, without any tests, he said "it's gotta be the compressor".
-When the fuse blew before, the AC button's led would not light up. Now it lights up but the compressor doesn't engage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rossww
2002 Chev Tracker
2.0 l
4x4
Old June 13th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

FWIW rock Auto has kits available for your vehicle...
I used one of them for our 2002 Dodge Caravan last year and its holding up and keeping us cool down here in Texas...
Attached Thumbnails 02 Tracker AC compressor cross reference-2002-tracker.jpg  
Old June 13th, 2015, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
FWIW rock Auto has kits available for your vehicle...
I used one of them for our 2002 Dodge Caravan last year and its holding up and keeping us cool down here in Texas...
The kit... Is it an ac recharge kit or a compressor rebuild kit?
Old June 14th, 2015, 9:46 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Its a Compressor, dryer, o-rings and expansion valve for the kit I got...
The compressor came with the oil already in it so I only needed to add oil for the dryer and and other components....
I purchased a vacuum pump from harbor freight to do the draw down and verify my system was sealed and then took it to a local shop to recharge it with about 2 ounces of freon....

The reason I had a shop do it is because I also had them evacuate the original charge and I got credit for it when I had them recharge it, so only 2 oz was needed which was a couple of dollars...