Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2000 Tracker - Fuel Door Spring

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2000 Tracker - Fuel Door Spring

I am restoring my 2000 Tracker. I have a new fuel door the old was broken. So how does the spring attach to the fuel door. I have a new spring and white nylon clip. The old fuel door has the white nylon clip on it. Looking at the spring, it is concaved, one end is straight and the other end has shoulders on it, so, the shoulder end must attach to the body side, does the concaved side of the spring face the body or door.

Could some one post a good picture of the inside of the fuel door...

Thanks
Old July 1st, 2014, 3:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the inside of my fuel door... I acquired my 2002 Tracker in late December. The fuel door was open enough to be noticeable. The only thought I had in making it work properly was to bend the vertical arm (Bringing it closer toward the rear of the vehicle). The vertical arm (For lack of a better description) appears fastened/welded to the door itself. It worked. My impression was/is--the arm is flimsy with age and will give in to the pressure of the metal spring band. The metal band does the work in keeping the door closed. The door now has again moved slightly out of closed position--not as bad as it was when I first saw it. I am still guessing how to cure this without damaging anything.

JR
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Tracker - Fuel Door Spring-dsc00007.jpg   2000 Tracker - Fuel Door Spring-dsc00008.jpg   2000 Tracker - Fuel Door Spring-dsc00009.jpg  
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

If you haven't solved this yet, send me an email address and I'll send pics of mine. I had the same problem. The spring was gone and the door was flapping around. I installed an old spring I had and now it works fine. johnrieth@yahoo.com
Old January 28th, 2015, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

I need a spring for my fuel door for my 99 tracker. Probably exactly the same as yours. I have the hinge and door, just need the spring. Where can I get one?
Tks.
Old January 30th, 2015, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default fuel door spring

I used an old ball point pen spring. If that doesn't work, try your auto parts store. They usually have a box of assorted springs.
Old January 31st, 2015, 4:52 AM
CF Beginner

The design-specific leaf spring clearly illustrated in JR's thumbnails is what I'm looking for. Hadn't thought about an alternative form factor. Not sure how it would/could work for this application.... I'm thinking salvage at this point; I'll have to check around.
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:38 PM
CF Junior Member

I would have responded sooner but I have an overall impression the parts for Trackers are hard to come by. Plus, most anyone should not forget salvage parts, if those parts have value. In the case of an old spring, I thought it might be a waste. Even my fuel door is tempermental and after a while gets lazy and remains slightly open until I "adjust" it.

I looked at 2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store and found this diagram. The Vitara is pretty much identical to Tracker and most of the parts are interchangeable. Take a look for yourself. Usually these parts are very expensive, but not in the case of this spring. See pictures. Looks like it is available if it is identical.

JR
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Tracker - Fuel Door Spring-panel-diagram.jpg   2000 Tracker - Fuel Door Spring-gas-spring.jpg  
Old February 5th, 2015, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Spot on, JR. Item #5 fuel door spring. Thanks very much! And thanks for the URL for parts. Did not have that.
from Salt Springs FL in the Ocala National Forest......
Old February 7th, 2015, 6:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Door Spring

JKATHRE, Thanks for posting the fuel door pictures, They are a great help, I have a new fuel door to paint and put on, I got the springs from the Suzuki Vitara, The springs are a little different, concaved and not flat, have to see how they will work...

Starting to warm-up a little in Pennsylvania.
Old February 8th, 2015, 2:17 PM
CF Junior Member

OK, always nice to be able to assist. I learned so much from others in forums, I wish to pay it forward!! It helped to keep my vehicles going...and I am still driving one I bought used in 1993. My favorite right now is my 2002 Tracker. It handles winter well and I hope to keep it for some time.

JR

Quick Reply: 2000 Tracker - Fuel Door Spring