Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

'95 Tracker - Seized Pulley after Water Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2022, 2:45 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '95 Tracker - Seized Pulley after Water Pump Replacement

1995 Geo Tracker - 4x4 - Automatic - 16valve 1.6 w/ MPI EFI - CAMI Made

I have been working on my tracker for just over a month and need some guidance. I've had the car for about a year and a half and haven't experienced any major issues up until last month. The water pump went out and in the process of replacing the water pump came across multiple parts that needed replacement due to wear and tear and found the previous owner's did not make repairs by the book, but rather by what they had.

Replaced water pump - had to tap out a bolt from the block that broke off, regardless of finesse and multiple days of PB Blaster in an attempt to avoid the snap. I did remove the timing belt to inspect it, but found no issues and put it back in place, ensuring timing dots were lined properly. I cleaned out the entire house for the timing belt, meticulously, to ensure there was no debris or leftover slivers from tapping out the snapped bolt. It looked brand new by the time parts were being put back in place. The main crank pulley was removed to gain access, but the timing pulley was not removed or loosened in any way.

I have also replaced the thermostat, radiator, alternator, and drive belt. Also replaced multiple bolts, including a missing ac compressor mounting bolt that turns out had been missing (but not causing any notable issues), meaning the ac compressor was removed and reinstalled as well.

It does not have working AC, which I am completely ok with and am not looking to fix at this time. I bought the car without working AC and it's not a big deal to me.

After waiting for parts and finally getting everything put back together, I am now running into what I think may be a seized pulley.

Upon start up, it begins to squeal and it seems as if the alternator pulley seizes at this time. The drive belt does not rotate and within less than a minute the car has to be turned off due to burning of the belt. Once the engine is off, the alternator pulley spins freely, and this is the brand new alternator. The fan pulley spins freely as well with engine off.

Is it possible my issue is stemming from the crankshaft pulley? Is there a way to test this theory, and if diagnosed, what is the best way to correct this issue? If not, any ideas on what I can test out to try and diagnose my current issue?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. This is my daily driver, and my only vehicle. My only saving grace is I work from home. But I need to get it up and running as soon as possible.
Old July 26th, 2022, 3:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by laurajean831
Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
I have a 2001 Tracker with the 2.5L V6, but the factory service manual also covers the 1.6L engine. Hopefully that will be some help.

Do your belts look like the picture above? If so, your belt layout is very similar to my V6 engine. Here's where I'm confused. You said:

Upon start up, it begins to squeal and it seems as if the alternator pulley seizes at this time. The drive belt does not rotate and within less than a minute the car has to be turned off due to burning of the belt. Once the engine is off, the alternator pulley spins freely, and this is the brand new alternator. The fan pulley spins freely as well with engine off.

If the alternator belt is tensioned correctly neither the alternator nor fan pulley should move when the engine is off. If you can spin your alternator with engine off, your belt is not tight enough.