Go Back  Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Past Chevy Truck, SUV & Vans > Tracker
Reload this Page >

Aftermarket Electric Oil Pressure Guage Hook Up

Notices
Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Aftermarket Electric Oil Pressure Guage Hook Up

Old July 10th, 2019, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Electric Oil Pressure Guage Hook Up

I bought a Sunpro electric oil pressure guage that I would like to install in my 01 2.0 4cyl Tracker. The instructions suggest leaving the oil "idiot" light hooked. And getting a "T" fitting to install the guage with the oil light still operational. It says that I should go to the auto parts store to buy the metric "T" fitting, Is the Tracker sending unit metric or not,? I would assume it is but you never know until you get it out. Just trying to get everything ready so I can be like boom, boom and bang and its done, off I go. Thanks
Old July 10th, 2019, 9:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought it would be pipe thread...was for my 84 fiero when I hooked my gauge up. good idea keeping the factory idiot light functional...you will never notice a low oil pressure condition without it.
Old July 11th, 2019, 3:54 AM
CF Junior Member

The "metric" thread on the oil pressure switch conforms to the ISO standard which turns out to be the British Standard Pipe Taper (BSPT).
This is not actually a metric measurement but rather 28 threads per inch. Sealant or Teflon tape must be used on tapered threads to prevent leakage.
Old July 11th, 2019, 3:59 AM
CF Beginner

That exactly what I was needing haha, Thanks.
Old July 11th, 2019, 4:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Here's a quote from a Sunpro review on amazon:

"Also make sure you have the correct adaptor. The sending unit is 1/8" NPT, but japanese anything is pretty much all 1/8" BSPT. My honda, toyotas and yanmars are all 1/8" BSPT. The correct adaptors can be tricky to find."

BSPT is close to but not compatible with NPT (National Pipe Taper). This adapter will allow you to connect the Sunpro sending unit to the Tracker engine block.
You will need handful of extra BSPT fittings to "tee" 'in the Tracker's original pressure switch.

Last edited by L84sky; July 11th, 2019 at 4:27 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: