Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Crankshaft Position Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2018, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor Issue

I've got a 2000 Chevy Tracker, convertible, 2.0L L4. I rebuilt the engine and it still won't work, no start, no spark. Scanner shows no reading at all from the Crankshaft Position Sensor, not even a trouble code. I replaced it and it still does the same thing. The tac doesn't even move when I crank it.

I tested the circuit to the specifications in my Haynes manual. It seems to be fine.

I've got no clue whether or not it could be the PCM.

The CKP signal rotor may not be on the crankshaft correctly. I had to swap it from the old crankshaft to the new one, and there were no lineup marks so I just put it on.

Any advice on it?
Old August 24th, 2018, 6:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

That's a magnetic speed probe. I know you've replaced it, with an ohm meter check the coil resistance, thinking around 1K, also with it out, check the magnet. It should have some metal pickup as a magnet, although not much
Old August 24th, 2018, 7:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by zbeamanx2
I've got a 2000 Chevy Tracker, convertible, 2.0L L4. I rebuilt the engine and it still won't work, no start, no spark. Scanner shows no reading at all from the Crankshaft Position Sensor, not even a trouble code. I replaced it and it still does the same thing. The tac doesn't even move when I crank it.

I tested the circuit to the specifications in my Haynes manual. It seems to be fine.

I've got no clue whether or not it could be the PCM.

The CKP signal rotor may not be on the crankshaft correctly. I had to swap it from the old crankshaft to the new one, and there were no lineup marks so I just put it on.

Any advice on it?
It as far as I know isn't adjustable as far as gap. I think it only goes in one way, and so far.
Old August 26th, 2018, 2:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
It as far as I know isn't adjustable as far as gap. I think it only goes in one way, and so far.
The new sensor is magnetic to my knowledge. I remember it being magnetic, and checking would mean dropping the transmission, torque converter and flywheel, so I'll go by memory. Also, when I said it may be put on wrong, I wasnt referring to gap. I meant that it may be rotated. A manual I found depicted a tooth on the signal rotor being in the 12:00 position when the rearmost piston was at the top.

Edit- I just reread your response and realized you may have been talking about the coil being magnetic. I'll check next time I can.

Last edited by zbeamanx2; August 26th, 2018 at 2:25 AM.