Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Drivers side power window issue

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2019, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side power window issue

Hi, I found this forum looking for an answer to a window problem that has me stumped. Bought my wife a '03 tracker for the 4WD. Killer little car. We love it, but it is used so there will be some things. Recently the drivers side window jams going up. My first 40 years were spent working on cars and interiors so I assumed I'd pop the door panel off and adjust the front track. But there is no adjustment front or back and the carriage is holding it as tight as I think it can. But about 1/3 way up the front edge dips and the window jams. After looking and looking the only thing I can come up with is the window seal. But I've never had to replace one unless it was old and coming apart. This one looks OK.
It's a one piece seal and I'll probably have to take the window out so I wanted to see if anyone had run across this and maybe has a 60 second fix that I'm missing.

Thanks for your help.
John
Old October 10th, 2019, 10:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 68 Posts

My driver's side window has that same dip. I suspect my window regulator is wearing out.
The problem got so bad that the passenger side window would not go up all the way at
highway speeds. My 60-second fix was to spray the window seals with silicone. That was
a few years ago and the windows are still working.

Old October 10th, 2019, 6:50 PM
CF Senior Member

The real fix is to replace the window regulator. That will cost about $150/door if you do it yourself. I have not changed mine yet so I don't know how hard it is to do but I can say from
experience that these cable-type regulators are a lot easier to replace than the scissors-type like the ones in my wife's S10.
Old October 12th, 2019, 4:50 AM
CF Senior Member

I have not yet pulled my Tracker door panels off to test this but I think my windows are
flopping because the carriage is loose on the track.

The factory service manual (FSM) says to remove the glass before removing the regulator. I don't believe that step is going to be necessary.

On all the other cars I have replaced the window regulator...

... I was able hold the glass in the frame with tape while the regulator was removed. That may
not be the case with the Tracker but I'll be surprised if it isn't.
Old October 12th, 2019, 5:15 AM
CF Senior Member

This URL
AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Diagnosing Power Window Problems
takes you to a primer on troubleshooting electric window problems. They also provide tips to keep electric windows working.

Old October 28th, 2019, 10:42 AM
CF Senior Member

I stumbled onto a Technical service Bulletin (TSB) someone in this forum had posted back in 2012. Unfortunately the pictures were not included in the post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment that one or more windows binds or tips forward when opening.

Cause
The run channel bracket may be pushing out on the run channel weatherstrip. Refer to the illustration above.

Correction
1. Roll the window to the full down position.
2. Remove the run channel weatherstrip. If the glass has rubbed through the run channel weatherstrip, replace the weatherstrip.
3. Locate the mold mark on the weatherstrip. Refer to the illustration above.
4. Measure 185 mm (7 1/4 in) down from the mold mark and mark the weatherstrip.
5. Measure 40 mm (1 1/2 in) down from the 185 mm (7 1/4 in) mark and remove that portion of the outer lip of the weatherstrip.
6. Using a soap solution, reinstall the run channel weatherstrip.
7. Operate the door glass for proper operation.