Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Front Left CV Axle

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2015, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Left CV Axle

I am new to this forum and I was wondering how I remove a front left CV axle from a 2004 chevy tracker. I looked it up and it is saying I need to take out the diff, this does not make sense to me because the right one came out pretty easy without and diff tinkering.
Old February 20th, 2016, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

1999-2004 Chevrolet Tracker Axle Assembly - Driveshaft & Axle - SurTrack, Front Left 99-04 Tracker Axle Assembly - 3736-05364286 - PartsGeek

Old February 25th, 2016, 2:33 PM
ZR2
CF Beginner

Default Front axle

Need advice to locate flange for front axle of my 2002 Tracker ZR2.

GM 30020930

Old February 25th, 2017, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

I just finished replacing both CV axles on a 1999 Tracker 4WD. The particular printing of the 1999 factory service manual I have is full of errors in the axle replacement section and not of any use.

Some pointers that may be helpful to others in replacing the axles:
Driver Side Replacement:
The driver side CV Axle is easier to replace than the passenger side. It is different from most front wheel drive axles because it is bolted to an output flange at the differential, as opposed to having a splined shaft that inserts into the differential. The CV axle can be removed without removing the steering knuckle from the lower control arm and the strut.
Remove the wheel and the hub flange (6 bolts) exposing the outboard splined end of the axle. Remove the spring clip and thrust washer from the axle.
Disconnect the tie rod from the steering knuckle. Remove the 3 nuts and bolts from the inboard end of the CV axle where it is bolted to the differential output flange. Compress the CV axle slightly to clear the differential output flange and rotate the axle forward. Now the axle can be slid out of the steering knuckle/hub assembly.
Replace the seal in the steering knuckle. National 710255 available at O’Reilly’s Auto Parts.
Install the axle by reversing the removal steps.

Passenger Side Replacement:
The passenger side requires the removal of the steering knuckle. The best video I found has no narration, but it was recorded on a Grand Vitara, same as a Tracker. Watch the video closely. I found that following the steps in the video worked well.
Remove the wheel and the hub flange (6 bolts) exposing the outboard splined end of the axle. Remove the spring clip and thrust washer from the axle.
Remove the caliper bolts, remove the brake hose retainer from the strut, then move the caliper and brake hose out of the way.
Remove the two bolts holding the steering knuckle to the strut. Remove the top of the steering knuckle from the strut, then align the top bolt hole in the knuckle to the bottom bolt hole in the strut. This allows the steering knuckle to extend low enough to remove the lower ball joint stud later.
Disconnect the tie rod from the steering knuckle and move the tie rod out of the way.
The Tracker is different from most generic front wheel drive axle replacement videos I found on the web because the ball joint is mounted in the lower control arm requiring the steering knuckle to be rotated from the top in an outboard direction and slid downward to get free of the ball joint stud. Once the ball joint stud is free the steering knuckle can move outboard further to fully remove the outboard splined shaft of the axle.
Now that the outboard end of the axle has been removed from the steering knuckle, gently pry between the CV housing and the differential to remove the axle from the differential. The axle is removed from the differential like most front wheel drive axles are removed from the transaxles.
Replace the differential seal while the axle is out. National 223553. Replace the seal in the steering knuckle. National 710255. Both seals are available at O’Reilly’s Auto Parts.
Install the axle by reversing the removal steps. Remember to check the differential fluid level before driving.

Last edited by patj2474; February 25th, 2017 at 9:31 PM.