Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

New to Trackers, looking for info

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2017, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Trackers, looking for info

Also new to the forum, I hope I'm in the right place. 2000 Tracker, 2.0L I4, 4DR, 4x4. I bought it yesterday on a whim, because it has 20K lightly driven miles and it looks practically new.

Also any tips or tricks would be much appreciated. For example I read about the timing chain tensioner lash issue, and the cam position sensor issue, and the overheating issue. I'd like to know more about factory options that I might find online. Also does anyone have any experience changing the auto trans fluid and filter?

Does anyone have any good tips on keeping the engine running cool? Does the j20a overheat because the faulty CPS retards the timing, and the lean condition causes excessive heat, resulting in head gasket failure? Or is it the other way around? Does overheating (say, from poor maintenance) cause the CPS to go bad?

Pretty impressed so far, but I like these odd vehicles. Thanks for any tips.
Old August 17th, 2017, 3:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal!! Yep, I love my Tracker although I noticed the insurance is more for Liability coverage. The part you need to know is Trackers are essentially a Suzuki Vitara/Grand Vitara. I am sure the admin for this site already hates me for this, but you are better off looking at the Suzuki forum for these vehicles--wealth of info there as well as helpful people. Belong to both forums!!! Link: Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Old August 18th, 2017, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Yes I think I landed a nice one. I've gotten a few answers. But maybe you or somebody else with knowledge can help fill in some blanks.

Where is "normal" operating temp on the temp gauge? I know they aren't particularly accurate. Mine holds at about 11:00 or so, maybe 11:30, but never reaches 12:00.

How do you remove the thermostat housing? I can't get the bottom 10mm bolt out (interferes with AC lines). Do I need to remove the entire water pump assembly?

The green coolant was ugly, probably 17 years old, but no evidence of dexcool sludge.
Old August 18th, 2017, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Also, did these Trackers have different factory trim levels in 2000? Amazon etc will ask fitment questions I can't answer, and different websites have different trim levels. For example, some say "LX" vs "base" and I saw one that asked if I had the LSI model!?! Appreciate any advice.
Old August 18th, 2017, 10:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Wink

Hey, I got old all of a sudden!!! My days of playing mechanic, well, the desire is kind of gone. I used to work on American cars... This Suzuki is a tough bird to work on. I played with the rear brakes (Shoes) and got burned. Even a top notch national chain screwed up the job afterwards. So, this being said, I am a poor choice to answer your questions. I defer you to the Suzuki forum, Max there answers many inquiries and he knows what he is talking about!

JR
Old September 17th, 2017, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

Costs money to reg. with Suzuki.