Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

random misfire! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2015, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy random misfire! Please help!

I'm at my wits end.

On Monday, a co-worker's battery died in the afternoon. I offered to jump her car off for her. I did the procedure successfully. We both went on our way.

I drive the 20 miles home with no problems at all. I turn onto my street and the Tracker begins to hesitate a little...almost like it was lagging. I travel about 100 feet and the check engine light starts blinking and then illuminates solid. Then the car begins stalling, shaking, stuttering. I manage to turn into my driveway and the car dies.

I crank the car up and it shakes, stutters, stalls, and dies. I have it towed to a mechanic down the road.

The mechanic tests the vehicle, says its throwing a misfire code on the #2 cylinder. He takes the ignition coil off...the top is cracked. He removes the #2 spark plug, tells me that the plug was "loose" and the tip was burned off. He says it looked like a short of some kind.

He puts a new ignition coil pack and new plug in cylinder #2. Cranks it up, takes it for a test drive, it's still shaking, stalling, and stuttering. He hooks the scanner up. Now it says misfire on cylinder #4. Cylinder #2 is running fine.

He changes all the coils and plugs, cranks it up. It runs great at idle. Smooth as can be. Takes it out on the road, stalls, stutters, shakes. Brings it back, hooks up the scanner. Now it says "random misfire." He changes all the injectors. Same result. Stalls, stutters under load. Fine at idle.

Checked compression in all cylinders. Perfect.
Checked for leaks on intake manifold. Nothing.
Checked the O2 sensor. Ran the car with and without it. No change.
Checked the mass airflow sensor. Was operating fine.
Camshaft sensor, also fine.
ERG valve is operating normally.
Catalytic converter appeared fine.

The only code it's throwing is "random misfire."

He thinks the problem could be electrical. At times while driving down the road at night I will notice the headlights pulsing, like the voltage regulator is faulty.

Could the problem be electrical? Did I cause it when I jumped my coworker off? Is the ECM (computer) fried and need to be replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I really want my car back!