Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Tips/pointers to lift 03 4-door 1-2" at home

Old January 5th, 2019, 2:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips/pointers to lift 03 4-door 1-2" at home

Hello all! I'm extremely proud and happy with my 03 2.0 4door but when hitting some of the roughest service roads I do find myself scraping a little, particularly the fuel tank guard (which is now dented in nicely). So clearly I want to raise it up but I also want to minimize the reduced handling for highway driving, this is why I only
want to lift is as slightly as possible: one to two inches (2 inches is even a little much). I do not want to increase tire size and strain on drive line, yada yada, you get the point. My shocks are also over due to be replaced so instead of replacing with the ones I have I'd like to maybe shim my springs and buy new shocks that are a little bit longer to achieve about a 1.5 inch lift.. Has anyone tried/done this at home with success? Or could anyone help me pull this off?

Huge, huge thanks!
Rob
Old January 5th, 2019, 4:44 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Pritchard
Hello all! I'm extremely proud and happy with my 03 2.0 4door but when hitting some of the roughest service roads I do find myself scraping a little, particularly the fuel tank guard (which is now dented in nicely). So clearly I want to raise it up but I also want to minimize the reduced handling for highway driving, this is why I only
want to lift is as slightly as possible: one to two inches (2 inches is even a little much). I do not want to increase tire size and strain on drive line, yada yada, you get the point. My shocks are also over due to be replaced so instead of replacing with the ones I have I'd like to maybe shim my springs and buy new shocks that are a little bit longer to achieve about a 1.5 inch lift.. Has anyone tried/done this at home with success? Or could anyone help me pull this off?

Huge, huge thanks!
Rob
Back when leaf spring were uesd you could do this easy. Have you thought of having a heavy duty fuel tank guard designed and installed? The skid pans on some 4x4 vehicles are just too lightweight.
Old January 5th, 2019, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Back when leaf spring were uesd you could do this easy. Have you thought of having a heavy duty fuel tank guard designed and installed? The skid pans on some 4x4 vehicles are just too lightweight.
I have, and it's definitely an option. It would be nice to avoid allot of this scraping though. So am I pretty much SOL for making this a home job?

Search this Thread