Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Why are alternators so expensive ??

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2019, 2:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are alternators so expensive ??

My Chevy Tracker's alternator died last week. Chevy wanted to charge me $450 to have a new one,several others were around $250-$300 range.
I manage to get a cheap one from Hexautoparts for $75 with a six months warranty. Why such a large difference in price ??
The quality cannot be that different.I think aftermarket alternator replacement is working fine.
Chevy must be making a huge profit on them.
Old June 10th, 2019, 3:03 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by John Damron
My Chevy Tracker's alternator died last week. Chevy wanted to charge me $450 to have a new one,several others were around $250-$300 range.
I manage to get a cheap one from Hexautoparts for $75 with a six months warranty. Why such a large difference in price ??
The quality cannot be that different.I think aftermarket alternator replacement is working fine.
Chevy must be making a huge profit on them.
I am sure Chevy/GM sources their alternators out in huge bulk lot quanties, as they are a very large corporation. Comparing that to a private auto parts outfit, isn't very fair or perhaps even accurate to GM/Chevrolet. Like all businesses, they have to make a profit, and with corporations, they need to be responsible to the shareholders benefit as well.

I'd be willing to bet that the alternator you purchased, won't hold up for very long,. since Hexautoparts needs to make a profit too, I'll bet you that your alternator. was manufactured with substandard components in Asia.

Alternators use components that convert A/C to D/C power, and those diodes, bearings, seals, bushings/bearings and other components can be quite low-grade inferior items assembled by workers who are lucky enough to have a job in poor countries overseas and a tin shack to call home after working for 12 hours, seven days a week. You likely have a cheaply made 70 amp unit, when you could have bought a higher amp unit with a 2 year or a limited lifetime warranty for $145-175 dollars USD.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; June 10th, 2019 at 2:24 PM.
Old June 10th, 2019, 6:54 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Most likely you got a remanufactured alternator. Nothing wrong with that. It's hard to find a new one anywhere.

Old June 10th, 2019, 10:14 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

One thing I've discovered with the parts that someone may typically need immediately is that they cost about double at the local auto parts store. I guess they figure you have no other choice.

I've been using Advance Auto Parts if I need something now. They typically have at least a 15% off coupon code always available for online orders with store pickup. This brings the prices down to a reasonable level for most parts as compared to online stores.
Old June 10th, 2019, 9:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

wait until you need a battery...heavy metal prices must have gone up!