TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

03' Trailblazer LT Tensioner belt SHREDDING

Old November 1st, 2012, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03' Trailblazer LT Tensioner belt SHREDDING

Hello,

I have an 03 Chevy Trailblazer. I have replaced the tensioner belt at least 9 times in the past 2 months!!! The water pump had a bad bearing, and that has been replaced. The tensioner arm was also replaced, and I got a month of driving without any issue once this was replaced. However, The belt continues to shred! I have had several ppl look at this, and they cannot think of what is wrong with it. Any ideas...?
Old November 1st, 2012, 3:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Either an alignment issue (I assume the serpentine belt) or something rubbing on it. Closely inspect for alignment or interference with the belt with engine running. DO NOT STICK HANDS FACE ECT. IN THE ROTATION OF THE ENGINE/BELT!
Old November 1st, 2012, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hello,
Nothing seems to be out of alignment, and there is nothing that is interfering with the belt while the engine is running. I had 3 mechanics look at the pulleys, and they seem to be fine (not loose, in place). When the engine is running, the serpentine belt does not move, jump the ribs/notches. I tired both sizes for the belt, and they still keep shredding on the same side (the side closest to the engine/alternator, and not the side closest to the fan...if this makes sense). Always shreds on this side.
Old September 25th, 2017, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by alexandriaeloisa
Hello,
Nothing seems to be out of alignment, and there is nothing that is interfering with the belt while the engine is running. I had 3 mechanics look at the pulleys, and they seem to be fine (not loose, in place). When the engine is running, the serpentine belt does not move, jump the ribs/notches. I tired both sizes for the belt, and they still keep shredding on the same side (the side closest to the engine/alternator, and not the side closest to the fan...if this makes sense). Always shreds on this side.
Hello. I too have an 03 TB and started experiencing the exact same issues. I was just wondering if you were able to figure out how to fix it. Any help will do. Thanks
Old September 29th, 2017, 12:42 PM
CF Active Member

One of the accessories that the serpentine belt turns is likely creating some drag that is wearing the belt out. Take the belt off and check all the accessories and make sure they turn freely.