TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

2003 Trailblazer LT EXT transmission fluid question

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2018, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Trailblazer LT EXT transmission fluid question

Just bought this 2003 with 160K miles on it. The only transmission fluid (TF) change information I have on it is the previous owner had it for 20K miles and didn't change it. It's in the shop for tie rod replacement and front axle work. Talked to the shop manager about the TF fluid, and he said "I don't recommend flushing it, it's likely that it will cause problems that will have you changing the transmission in a few months. Just top it up".
I've never heard this before and am wondering what to make of it.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 8:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Shalmaneser
Just bought this 2003 with 160K miles on it. The only transmission fluid (TF) change information I have on it is the previous owner had it for 20K miles and didn't change it. It's in the shop for tie rod replacement and front axle work. Talked to the shop manager about the TF fluid, and he said "I don't recommend flushing it, it's likely that it will cause problems that will have you changing the transmission in a few months. Just top it up".
I've never heard this before and am wondering what to make of it.
Sounds like more horse**** to me by this tech.. What kind of transmission do you have?

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 3rd, 2018 at 8:33 PM.
Old August 4th, 2018, 2:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Sounds like more horse**** to me by this tech.. What kind of transmission do you have?
This TB has the 4X4 transmission.
Old August 4th, 2018, 5:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

some people believe that flushing a dirty trans with clean fluid will loosen up debris (trans fluid has detergents) and this will circulate into passages and cause problems in the valve body or other circuits.
old trans flushing equipment use to reverse flush against normal flow direction and pressure pulse...stirring up crud. New exchange machines all the torque convertor pump to push the fluid out in the normal direction flow with no pressure pulses. flush is bad...exchange is ok.

I have old vehicles with 200 000kilometers and 250 000 kilometers that I bought used with no service history. both trans were running fine. I exchanged the fluid in both and had no problems. I suppose it could be possible to create an issue...never say never...has not happened to me.

Its all perspective...fluid has a life and wears out...leave it in long enough and you will have a problem.