TrailBlazer 2002-2009
2023- The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

2004 TB Engine hesitates

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2007, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 TB Engine hesitates

I have an 04 TB with almost 68K miles. Recently, the check engine lightwillcome on for a few days, off for a few, then back on. Currently it is off and has been for at least a week, but now the engine hesitates when I first start driving. The RPMs will drop then jump back up to normal a few times, then everything evens out once the engine is warmed up. It seems to be getting worse, almost to the point that I think the engine will die, but it hasn't as of yet. Any ideas on what is causing this?
Old August 10th, 2007, 3:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2004 TB Engine hesitates

have you disconnected battery for more than 30 min lately?
also- you may want to disconnect battery for 30 min, and clean the throttle body. then reconnect and go for a drive.
its about $4 for the throttle body cleaner.....
Old August 20th, 2007, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Any luck with cleaning the throttle body? I have this exact same issue w/ my 2002 TB. I took it to the dealer who said that nothing was wrong so they just cleared the code and now the light is backon (sometimes just flashing off and on)and the engine is still having the same issues. We changed the spark plugs, replaced the fuel filter, disconnected the battery, etc. Just wondering if cleaning the throttle body helped you.
Old September 18th, 2007, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

I wonder if mine is related .......

got my 04 TB, 4.2L v6 in 06 with 13k miles, 23k miles now. everything worked fine. So few mo later had to replace the battery since it's been sitting for a 3-4month and the stock one slowly went dead on me.

I'm a computer admin with some mechanics experience from working on Ninja 900cc..can do maintenance but not much of a troubleshooter when it comes to cars.

I started noticing that once in a while i'd be driving in the range of 20-65m/h and have no power regardless how I push the gas pedal. Engine runs but tranny doesn't get invloved. I'd release the pedal and just roll for a couple of sec and push again and it'd be fine.
well, it's been over a yr now, and i find it doing it almost every time I drive it. it happens when engine is cold and when it's at normal op temp (I'm in Dallas, car warms up very fast). Most of the time it happens on the ramp getting on the highway and speeding up on the hightway but mostly in that range. Bad gas? my gf and friends all fill up at the same racetrack station. and I run concentrated injector cleaner through after each oil change.

I haven't had any warning lights come on or engine lights... starts everytime, even in the winter. I change oil myself every 3,500 (Castrol GTX 5w30 with AcDelco filter). Tranny oil is still from the factory.

so one day it wouldn't pull while going up a steep ramp and tried releasing and pushing the gas pedal as always but the engine just died. I was able to pull over to the shoulder... switched to neutral and SOB started just fine!

I tried scanning the computer, but the scanner can't seem to establish a connection (keeps telling me to plugin the cable).

I'll take the dash apart this week to check if I forgot to connect the OBDII jack back after I run the fog light switch from the dash into fusebox.

Some guys were mentioning bad Neutral gear switch .. can I test that in some way or only a dealer can do that (where is it anyways)? Is it possible that I cause the problem by resting my right hand on the gear selector while driving?

Since the car didn't have warranty I made following upgrades after I got it: replaced the stock stereo with a mp3/USB deck (had to buy special harness with a chip) and installed a pair of fog lights with harness (7A on the same fuse as RPM gage, only I replaced 5A rpm fuse for a splitter with 2 5A fuses)

Thanx so much in advance for any ideas and advice.