TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

2005 Chevy Trailblazer stuck in park - 3 times in six weeks. Fuse problem initially

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2016, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Chevy Trailblazer stuck in park - 3 times in six weeks. Fuse problem initially

I have a 2005 chevy Trailblazer that has gotten stuck in park 3 times in six weeks. The first two times I replaced fuse number 25 and presto, I could move the shifter. This third time changing the fuse didnt work. I tried several different fuses to make sure it wasn't a new fuse that didn't work. It sat for 3 days and I tried each day to remove the #25 fuse and replace it and then started the car. But each time it would not go into gear. I checked the brake lights and they work. After 3 days I tried it again and everything worked fine. Strange thing is that all the fuses I replaced, I could not see where there was a break in the fuse. I'm wondering if there is a bad ground someplace. I was going to have the car towed to a mechanic, but now that it is working, I don't think they could troubleshoot the problem. I will have to wait until it acts up again. Would hate to be towing my boat on a trip and be at the launch ramp and this happens, and tide is coming up. 3 times for this to happen in six weeks is alot.

I also have a similar problem where the headlights go out. This has happened 3 times also. The next day the headlights work fine. Tried turning the headlights to different settings and then back. Tried turning the car off. Nothing works, but sitting until the next day.

Any suggestions. Thanks for any help.
Old May 21st, 2016, 1:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

was the fuse blown?
Old May 21st, 2016, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
was the fuse blown?
No, the fuses were not blown as far as I could tell. Could not see a break in any of the fuses. However, the first two times I replaced the fuse, I was able to move the shifter out of park. This third time replacing the fuses didn't work.
Old May 21st, 2016, 4:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

that fuse sends power to the brake switch and shift interlock solenoid. next time it happens, listen for the sound of the solenoid when the brake is depressed. if you hear a single click...the solenoid is working. if not, you need to check for power, grd and brake switch signal to the solenoid.
Old May 21st, 2016, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks very much. Appreciate the response.